Latest batch pens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitface

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Well after the trouble I had with drilling the Pink Ivory and Madagasca Ebony I eventually made a clamp by bolting two pieces of wood to the drill clamp then drilling two 4mm holes and a 10mm hole to form the channel to hold the wood.

Anyway here is a pic of the pens:

From left to right:

Beech pen with my first attempt at the Celtic Knot in Purple Hart. Overall I'm happy with the knot but I found out after that my bandsaw table had moved so the Purple Hart ended up slightly thicker at the bottom. :( this was finished with CA and Teak Oil.

Next is a bulb pen in Beech, wanted to do a bit of design on this so added the 5 lines at the top. Again finished in CA/Teak Oil.

This is a pencil in Pink Ivory, the kit came from craft supplies and uses an 8mm tube so hade to use cones to hold this. Overall I'm happy with this and managed to get the size about right. This was finished with BLO/CA all thought this seems to have darkened the wood and turned it more redder.

Again the same pencil kit from craft supplies, this is Madagascan Ebony with BLO/CA finish. Again this seems to have darkened the wood and made the lighter brown blend in too much. Also not sure if you can see, but the top of the tube flared out with the use of the cones.

Also did a pencil in African Ebony, this time using a beeswax/Ch***** (can't think of it now) friction stick, but didn't get a picture as I was dropping the three pencil off for the client, who was very happy with each one. Now he wants matching Pens in the same wood.

On the topic of BLO I thought that the colour was lighter than normal LO, but the bottle I got seems to be very dark.

I'm now waiting for some more kits to come so I can have a go with some Walnut and Wenge that I picked up, also pick up a pack of Veneer off cuts to use as inserts and laminates.

Cheers,

Mark...............

Some nice pens Mark

You wrote "Also not sure if you can see, but the top of the tube flared out with the use of the cones." sound like you tightened the holding nut a bit to tight there is a fine line between holding the piece and it spinning to its hearts content especially when turning from the square down to a cylinder. Once you get the blank round it is easier to cut without so much pressure from the lock nut.

Hope this makes sense

Dalboy":3gh6p61w said:
Some nice pens Mark

sound like you tightened the holding nut a bit to tight

Hope this makes sense

Yep, knew as soon as I did it. The problem was one of the barrels started to stall as I was sanding and I thought the nut had come lose against the locking nut. Turned out the glue had let go on the tube, so had to re-glue before final assembly. Think that this tube had a slightly smaller outside diamiter than the other 3.

Just got half of my new kits from Timberbits in oz today (other half comming in seperate parcel) so will be having a go with some Walnut and Wenge in the morning.

Cheers for the comments.

Mark.............

Latest posts

Back