Large quantities of beech from the eastern Europe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukeuk

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an access to an unlimited amount of beech in an excellent prices (far below what I can find in the UK). I'm able to deliver it to any place in the souther part of the country. I'm looking for a merchant with an experienced on the British market who is open for a discussion.

Can you refer me to somebody who might be interested in such a thing?

Thank you!

Sounds good but are you comparing prices like for like? Have you included transport, import duty, vat, yours and any merchants profit etc? Plus doesn't all new imported timber now have to be certified with details from where it came? Does that cost anything?

carlb40":2e6wlfdz said:
Sounds good but are you comparing prices like for like? Have you included transport, import duty, vat, yours and any merchants profit etc? Plus doesn't all new imported timber now have to be certified with details from where it came? Does that cost anything?

Well.. I must admit that I didn't think about the certification. Everything else is covered. My uncle sends 25 to 50 tones of goods to the UK every week. We understand transport, duty and VAT quite well.

New timber doesn't have to be certified. Any timber yard which is a member of the Timber Trades Federation will only buy certified wood which is traceable. Any timber which is for a government funded project ie council, NHS, etc has to use certified timber. Getting the wood certified opens up a bigger potential customer base. It still doesn't stop an individual from selling or buying uncertified wood (as long as its not on the CITES list that is or then that becomes a criminal court case). More and more individual people are becoming environmentally aware and are asking me about the sustainability of my timber that I use but as I only use windblown timber that I mill and dry myself, it is to me very sustainable and has a minimum carbon footprint as it has only travelled a couple of miles instead of half way round the world.

Mike

lukeuk":2umih74l said:
I have an access to an unlimited amount of beech in an excellent prices (far below what I can find in the UK). I'm able to deliver it to any place in the souther part of the country. I'm looking for a merchant with an experienced on the British market who is open for a discussion.

Can you refer me to somebody who might be interested in such a thing?

Thank you!

A surprising post from you Luke, when your first post was asking where to buy wood? where-to-buy-planed-boards-in-the-uk-t79224.html

Alex

It might look this way but it's not that mysterious.

I got into woodworking quite recently and I fall in love with it. My biggest irritation was price of timber so I was looking how to solve my problem. I explored many alternatives (which included speaking to members of my family) and the result of those conversation was identifying an opportunity. I appreciate my lack of experience and credibility in this area and I'm quite open about it. I believe that I have an interesting offer which shouldn't take longer than 15min to hear and I'm trying to find somebody who wouldn't mind to hear me out.

It might not be as straightforward as you think. Certain wood might require a health certificate to prevent the spread of pests and diseases. Not sure if sawn Beech requires that. It may also depend on the country of origin. I have heard of raw wood consignments being seized and destroyed by customs.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/HCOU-4U5GCR

I saved a packet on an Eastern European beech deal. And I mean a tidy sum...
Then, as I blithely skipped off to the pub, revelling in my good fortune...
...I was pick-pocketed by a Romanian.

I wouldnt have thought Beech is very sought after timber, at least in cabinetmaking circles. Colour variation and stick marks can be a problem for clear finished work. Lower grades are used in high class upholstery.

If it was prime oak, it would have a high demand.

RobinBHM":1e3jw8qe said:
I wouldnt have thought Beech is very sought after timber, at least in cabinetmaking circles. Colour variation and stick marks can be a problem for clear finished work. Lower grades are used in high class upholstery.

If it was prime oak, it would have a high demand.

Its widely used in face frames, Cabinet Doors etc. That are getting painted rather than use poplar

How much are you hoping to sell it for? Bear in mind the yards probably have a 100% mark up price.

doctor Bob":2mu7fecz said:
How much are you hoping to sell it for? Bear in mind the yards probably have a 100% mark up price.

I have not upper limits for quantity - especially if we talk about logs.

Most of the value in the final cost of timber is made up of drying, shipping, haulage and stockholding -I dont think the actual timber costs much. I do know that large timber companies have a huge amount of money tied up in timber and can make or lose a lot a money by fluctuations in exchange rates.

Id forgotten about painted kitchens -I seen these made in beech and I guess in larger qtys the price is probably similar to poplar.

Latest posts

Back