Laptop Speed turned into a snail's pace

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dibs-h":339i9k9s said:
Benchwayze":339i9k9s said:
Thanks folks..

Dibs: I'll sort out how to post a screen shot.
How big it will be I dunno!

Go to

http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-Hi ... 27353.html

download it and install. If I want to get to the bottom of performance issues on PC's and figure out what's running, etc. I use this a lot. Install it and run it - this does not run in the background so it doesn't contribute to the problems.

Execute the program - click on "Do a system scan and save a logfile" - it'll take about 60s and then present you with a textfile displayed in Notepad. Cut and paste the results in a message and post it up.

Cheers

Dibs
I downloaded and installed Dibs.
But:
The program is supposed to be installed, but it's nowhere on my laptop..
What has appeared is a Facebook program, (I don't have a FB Account.) but according to the installer, I was installing HiJack.
I don't know what's going on. The program installed fine on my desktop PC.
There must be something wrong with the Windows installation is all I can think!

Cheers

Benchwayze":ckcawyd3 said:
Dibs-h":ckcawyd3 said:
Benchwayze":ckcawyd3 said:
Thanks folks..

Dibs: I'll sort out how to post a screen shot.
How big it will be I dunno!

Go to

http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-Hi ... 27353.html

download it and install. If I want to get to the bottom of performance issues on PC's and figure out what's running, etc. I use this a lot. Install it and run it - this does not run in the background so it doesn't contribute to the problems.

Execute the program - click on "Do a system scan and save a logfile" - it'll take about 60s and then present you with a textfile displayed in Notepad. Cut and paste the results in a message and post it up.

Cheers

Dibs
I downloaded and installed Dibs.
But:
The program is supposed to be installed, but it's nowhere on my laptop..
What has appeared is a Facebook program, (I don't have a FB Account.) but according to the installer, I was installing HiJack.
I don't know what's going on. The program installed fine on my desktop PC.
There must be something wrong with the Windows installation is all I can think!

Cheers

No Probs - go to your desktop and go to C:\Prgram Files\HijackThis\ and there is a single excutable. Copy it onto USB - it's small. Use a USB that you don't mind formatting. Don't use one with other stuff on it. It's about 213kb.

Insert the USB into the latptop and run the executable. You should then be able to scan and generate a logfile.

I don't know why Trend use an installer - previously they just used to give you the executable.

Might be worth a shot of going to C:\Prgram FilesHijackThis on the laptop and see if the executable is there? if it is - double click it and it should run. If it isn't there - copy it from the desktop.

Dibs

I tried the ' take-out-battery' trick.
The Lappie is marginally faster, but not its boot-up.

There is a virus that is continually being found by AVG. it is removed, so I am told, but it returns each scan.
Doesn't tell me what it is, just that a Trojan was found and dealt with!

So I am going to try and get Windows 7 disc, and re install the lot. :evil:

John,
you mention AVG - I take it you are using that as your anti virus?
I find that AVG slows my laptop down noticeably compared to AVAST anti virus. It seems as memory intensive as NORTON.
Last week (following a windows update) my AVAST developed a problem which I could not fix so I installed AVG (and wiped AVAST). Well, after 2 hours of slow performance I wiped AVG and downloaded the new version of AVAST which now works perfectly! Boot up is MUCH quicker. Why? I don't know but I did notice that AVG does not allow immediate connection to my broadband upon startup whereas AVAST does.

Also, a few years ago I set up separate accounts on my desktop for my children to use and this really slowed the machine down (Win XP at the time) so I deleted them with immediate improvement.

Have you tried saving your data to a stick and using the Tosh software to do a day one install? That should speed it up to how it was when you first got it - if not you are looking for a different problem.................

Kind regards, Chris

Chris By The River":1v5s78ho said:
John,
you mention AVG - I take it you are using that as your anti virus?
I find that AVG slows my laptop down noticeably compared to AVAST anti virus. It seems as memory intensive as NORTON.
Last week (following a windows update) my AVAST developed a problem which I could not fix so I installed AVG (and wiped AVAST). Well, after 2 hours of slow performance I wiped AVG and downloaded the new version of AVAST which now works perfectly! Boot up is MUCH quicker. Why? I don't know but I did notice that AVG does not allow immediate connection to my broadband upon startup whereas AVAST does.

Also, a few years ago I set up separate accounts on my desktop for my children to use and this really slowed the machine down (Win XP at the time) so I deleted them with immediate improvement.

Have you tried saving your data to a stick and using the Tosh software to do a day one install? That should speed it up to how it was when you first got it - if not you are looking for a different problem.................

Kind regards, Chris

Thanks Chris.. I found the reverse to be the case though. Avast was painfully slow, and it's habit of updating, with the verbal advisors, has ruined two or three of my recording attempts. When I get something just about note perfect, up chirps Avast, telling me it's updated, and of course ruins the recording! Can't win can we?

I think I am gong to go commando where AV is concerned. Just find a good firewall, which is all we ought to need.!

Problem is I subscribed to AVG, thinking it would be better! Roll on 12 months then! I learned a long time ago about Norton too! The best I used was 'Etrust', but it went bust I think. :mrgreen:
I have to read your instructions about the Memory Stick again Chris, until I am sure I get it right, so With your permission I'll cut and paste and print. Thanks again

:D

Latest posts

Back