Laminate flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
Am just in the middle of redecorating a room to be my lad's new bedroom (he's just about to turn 3). We figure laminate flooring would be a good idea, as it's hard wearing, easy to clean etc.

Anybody got any recommendations? Is Quick-step worth the extra? Where to buy, as money is tight, but don't want to be buying rubbish.

If anybody has about 9m2 kicking around, let me know.

Si.

knappers":6rfmg40e said:
Am just in the middle of redecorating a room to be my lad's new bedroom (he's just about to turn 3). We figure laminate flooring would be a good idea, as it's hard wearing, easy to clean etc.

Anybody got any recommendations? Is Quick-step worth the extra? Where to buy, as money is tight, but don't want to be buying rubbish.

If anybody has about 9m2 kicking around, let me know.

Si.

Ikea used to sell it - don't know about now, but it was cheap. TBH - laminate is laminate, it's not like there's a one out there that passes for real wood!

Dibs

p.s. Worth checking on the Bay - there's bound to be a fair few folk doing it now.

ive fitted ikea and tbh i was supprised it was pretty decent for the £ , quickstep is what id go for if you can afford it
ive seen cheaper laminates last less than 12 month and the laminate wares thru showing the white underlayer, thats the £3 m2 value range tho

Have a look on ebay - there always seems to be lots on there. from secondhand stuff, to new unopened boxes.
you might just find what you need!
James

I have about 24 square metres of B&Q's stuff in my kitchen / dining room which I laid in 2004 and another 12 metres in the study laid in 2005. It all still looks good except where the occasional sharp knife has been dropped in the kitchen.
It has survived dogs, grandchildren, endless toys, a few parties and my wheeled chair every day in the study. I've been very happy with it and have no connection with said shed except I buy there when it is the right quality and the right price.

David

Not sure if this is still current info but I'll pass it on..

For some indication of wear resistance you need to look on the packet for the 'AC' rating - anything less than AC3 is a waste of money IMO, if you have a high 'traffic' area then look for AC4 or better. Obviously price goes up with the better quality products, lock together flooring is a mile better than cheapo t&g stuff and resists the joints pulling apart (something you often see with the older t&g laminate).

HTH, any other questions just ask.

Hi Si

Sounds like a good idea for his bedroom though it can be hard on the knees etc if he takes a tumble.

As advised, click together is better and of course AC4 is better than 3 but I can't imagine it's going to get excessive wear in a 3 year olds' bedroom. Liquids and sharp objects are the biggest killers. I suppose the former if he pees a lot on the floor :lol: but I doubt he's going to be playing with knives :?

* Remember that the underlay you choose will make a big difference in the feel and sound transmission of the floor.
* If you buy s/h, check the tongues carefully as they get damaged when lifting.

We had very cheap non click stuff from B&Q years ago in the kitchen, (wasn't rated for kitchens), as we had an old labrador with permanent muddy feet. It suffered minor scratch damage and a couple of small dents but nothing else over a period of 4 years.

We replaced it with laminate from Howdens Joinery 5 years ago and it's still as good as new and soon to be lifted and re-used by my daughter.( I know who'll get the job of laying it :( )

You get what you pay for and for the small amount you need probably won't get the extra discount available on large orders. e.g. I've just ordered 78 squ mtrs of balterio pure stone at £13.99 m which is a huge discount.

Bob

knappers":27oisgl3 said:

Yes, Quick-step is definitely worth the extra. I don't install anything else now. The Uniclic system allows a more flexible installation - either angled or flat. Found http://www.flooring2floors.co.uk/quick-step/ to be reasonable price wise. I've now found a local supplier who are pretty competitively priced too.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have ordered 5 packs of Quick Step "Classic", 4 lengths of scotia and a carpet/floor threshold strip from a local carpet place for £110 inc VAT. That's cheaper than I have found it online!!

Si.

knappers":1qpk1ost said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I have ordered 5 packs of Quick Step "Classic", 4 lengths of scotia and a carpet/floor threshold strip from a local carpet place for £110 inc VAT. That's cheaper than I have found it online!!

Si.

Si

Just an observation:
It looks much better if you can manage to fit it under the skirtings rather than a scotia cover strip. The other option is a timber strip, say 15 x 40 for example pinned to the skirting which can be painted. Much less obvious - scotia smacks of amateur diy IMO

cheers

Bob

I know what you mean, and I agree... Trouble is, it's an old place, and there's no way these skirtings are coming off without destroying the bottoms of the walls. I went the route of cutting out the bottoms of the skirting when I laid solid oak flooring in the living room, and I'm not going through that again for the lad's bedroom...
I think due to the height of the existing skirting, an additional low skirt would look even stranger than the radiused scotia. Not to mention the hassle of painting it.

Si.

knappers":ss4ltkq5 said:
I know what you mean, and I agree... Trouble is, it's an old place, and there's no way these skirtings are coming off without destroying the bottoms of the walls. I went the route of cutting out the bottoms of the skirting when I laid solid oak flooring in the living room, and I'm not going through that again for the lad's bedroom...
I think due to the height of the existing skirting, an additional low skirt would look even stranger than the radiused scotia. Not to mention the hassle of painting it.

Si.

What did you cut the last skirtings with Si?
I've used a biscuit jointer a few times which works well and with a vac attached limits the sawdust

Bob

Back