laburnum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birchwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.Been offered some fallen laburnum,can anyone advise what its like to work with?Not for turning probably small occasional table.regards.

Hi birchwood

Only the seeds are poison. But as they say some people can be allergic to the dust and sap if it's still wet
I have used it quite a lot and found it good to work and take a lovely polish and if you cut across sap and heart wood you can get some lovely colour contrasts
Luck you to get a bit big enough to make a table

Martyn

If you are drying the timber then make sure you do it under cover and be on the watch for sapwood critter infestation.

The pale Sapwood turns to powder very quickly with or without the help of critters if subject to wet (outdoor) storage and stored logs can end up with a loose bark shell full of powder and a sound core of dark wood.

thanks for replies.will get it indoors asap.look forward to see it machined,should I store it as it is (trunk)or should I machine it into planks now for storage?regards

birchwood":3byhaulb said:
thanks for replies.will get it indoors asap.look forward to see it machined,should I store it as it is (trunk)or should I machine it into planks now for storage?regards
I made some notes based on my own experience on drying wood for turning use, I would think Slabbing or Planking and laying up in sticks would give you the best chance of saving it, but be prepared to loose at least 1/3rd the thickness removing cupping and distortion.

Make sure you seal end grain and any branch wounds.

Hopefully a member with more experience of drying their own wood for cabinet work will be along to relay their experiences.

A friend of mine became rather ill after using a spoon he had carved from Green laburnum!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Laburnum occupies a special place in traditional British furniture making, apart from Bog Oak or iron stained Oak, it's pretty much the darkest British grown timber you'll find. Furthermore, it's one of the few timbers that darken upon exposure to moderate amounts of light, so even relatively pale pieces of Laburnum will darken considerably in just a few years.

This photo shows two pieces of Laburnum, if you look carefully you can see they are a book matched pair, so they started life the identical colour. The piece on the right was kept in the dark, and the piece of the left was placed in a south facing window for a few months.
Laburnum-UV-darkens.jpg

In the Arts & Crafts tradition Laburnum is often paired with Holly to give a strong, but not overwhelming, contrast.

Laburnum is not a commercial timber, so the only places to find some are the occasional small timber yard that draws some of their supplies from local tree surgeons, or go to the tree surgeons direct and hope they're taking down a domestic, decorative Laburnum and are prepared to plank it up for you. I always keeps a few boards in stock and that's how I get mine.

Attachments

• Laburnum-UV-darkens.jpg
    Laburnum-UV-darkens.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 219
I’ve found laburnum is a magnet for woodworm, I air dry a lot of timber so keep a can of woodworm killer handy, inspect regularly & apply as necessary, that said it’s a beautiful timber & well worth the effort

Even though it was stored for many years and stored for a few weeks after planking the wood has begun to crack and split!! :(

8e764ccbd05490d7565da0ff79251f7d.jpg

Rod

Latest posts

Back