Kiddies Bed Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get started on the bed build for our daughter in the next month once main work on garden project is out of the way. I know a few people on here have done similar builds and was looking for some advise.

I dont have a sketch of plan as yet (well have paper plan) as couldnt use sketchup very well.
I plan to use redwood for the build as the bed will be getting painted, would this be okay to use or would you recommend using a different wood?

The main problem i have is im unsure how thick to make the bed rails, can get the redwood in either 20mm or 33mm, thought the 20mm would be to thin but 33mm to thick. What would you recommend, would the 20mm be okay. The only other option i thought would be to take the 33mm and see if they could thickness it to so 25-28mm.

Any thoughts or recommendations very welcome

Im just finishing a bed that has 32mm rails. Thats what i always do them as and (as far as i know!) they are all still going strong. Thats for a double tho so you could argue that 20 will work for a kids bed, but i wouldnt. Id do the 33 down to 28ish idea.

Also id suggest using pop instead of red wood, paints up a lot better

Luke

Thanks Luke

I think i may just go with the 33mm, however i was originally going to go with posts 45mm x 45mm but with the thicker rails i guess it would be best with bigger posts.

Oh that is very true, hadnt considered that, thanks. Looks like i should probably use 4x2 joists then haha

Hi, gc

I used 3'X1,1/2' (95X30mm after its plained up) and 3' square (68mm) for the legs, some 1'x1' for the slats to rest on, the slats came from IKEA they had them very cheap.

It was constructed with mortise and tenon joints glue and pined with dowels, just to make sure it would last, and they have for about 16 years.
They are single beds so I don't have any problems with moving them, thats why I didn't make them with knock down joints and bed bolts.

Pete

That sounds very similar to what i now plan to do. I decided i will go with the thicker stock (keeping the width as 95mm) and posts about 70mm square.

Was originally going to make up the slats but if ikea do them cheap i'll just buy them to save time, thanks for the info.

Need further advise, how much extra room should i leave in the length of the bed if you know what i mean ie mattress is 190cm so is a couple of cm either side enough room to leave or should it be made a good fit?

Can you tell this is my first time building a bed :lol:

Hi, GC

I left room on mine but I don't think its a good thing, the gaps look unsightly and collect dust. I would make it exact size if I made another, the matress will have some give in it so it will fit.

Pete

Thanks for the help Pete. Now that i think about it the mattress on our bed (wood frame) is exact size and as you say the matress will have some give.

Thanks
Graeme

Would echo Petes point and make it the exact size. Matresses have a bit of give in them anyway.

Learnt this lesson the hard way when i made a new double bed in oak some years ago. Added a bit of space thinking this would be sensible from a bed making point of view and ended up spending a fortune on a bespoke sized mattress! Admittedly the sensible thing would have been to adjust the frame but pride is a funny thing :lol:

Back