Kempton Park Report

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Caught the train over to Kempton Park today just before lunch. The show was busy but not manic. All the usual suspects where there, although there seemed to be a lot less demonstrations. I didn't hang around for any. Some reasonable deals to be had. My haul included

2 x Frued saw blades. 1 for the TS and 1 for my new CS
2 x 18" Irwin XP Quickgrips

10505942.jpg

1 Hitachi CJ110MV Jigsaw

HITCJ110MV_frontpage.jpg

Plus a load of DX bits from Record and some Frued biscuits.

Don't tell the missus :-$ :whistle:

Also had a chat with Ray (Argee) at the Triton Stand. Thanks for your time and advice mate. Much appreciated.

I'd been planning to go tomorrow for ages, and then over the last couple of days pretty much decided not to go at all - I just couldn't work up the enthusiasm for the drive, especially with all the talk about roadworks outside the front door. I'd never thought of going by train though :oops: :roll: , puts a whole different spin on things, and would stop me coming back with a car full of goodies I can't afford......hmmm :-k methinks a rethink is in order.
Where did you get the train from Wizer, Waterloo?

Yes mate Waterloo

D&M site suggests you go to Sunbury Station, which is where I went the last 2yrs. This year the train stopped at Kempton Park. Which is much more convenient as it's literally in the grounds. No sure if it stops there at the weekend so might be an idea to check. Sunbury is about a 10min walk IIRC.

EDIT: Just noticed your signature line. Fantastic, I had run out of excuses tonight.... :roll: :wink:

Hmmf!! You think you've run out of excuses :roll:

In the last 5 months I've "aqcuired":
Clifton 5 1/2, 3110, 420
LV LA block
full set of AI bevel edge chisels (plus the fishtail skews which are in the post as we speak :-$ )
Pax 10" DT saw
Veritas MkII Honing guide, and assorted waterstones and holders
Axminster SBW4300 bandsaw (s/h, so that's allright then :wink: ) and a couple of Dragon blades to make it worthwhile.
Oh, and the big Triton last week 'cos it was too cheap to turn down.

OK, so a couple of the Cliffies were B'day pressies, but the rest had to be "justified".
If there's anyone out there with a more understanding and accomodating missus he's a lucky man indeed.

Hah! you guys are lucky, I have had to make excuses for a large table saw, a Bosch mutlitool, Another router, and now a new De Walt SCMS! :shock: Not to mention all the electrics I have had to upgrade down to the workshop! Anyway I still have my dangly things intact. :D

So who's going to be there tomorrow? Anybody fancy being the voice of reason and help me keep the wallet in my back pocket.

Hi Mark

MarkW":1lr8psf1 said:
So who's going to be there tomorrow? Anybody fancy being the voice of reason and help me keep the wallet in my back pocket.

I would make a bee line for Waka. He'll look after you properly. :roll: :roll:

Cheers,
Neil

MarkW":ryd0fgj6 said:
Hmmf!! You think you've run out of excuses :roll:

In the last 5 months I've "aqcuired":
Clifton 5 1/2, 3110, 420
LV LA block
full set of AI bevel edge chisels (plus the fishtail skews which are in the post as we speak :-$ )
Pax 10" DT saw
Veritas MkII Honing guide, and assorted waterstones and holders
Axminster SBW4300 bandsaw (s/h, so that's allright then :wink: ) and a couple of Dragon blades to make it worthwhile.
Oh, and the big Triton last week 'cos it was too cheap to turn down.

OK, so a couple of the Cliffies were B'day pressies, but the rest had to be "justified".
If there's anyone out there with a more understanding and accomodating missus he's a lucky man indeed.

I sincerely hope Mailee's last visitor doesnt read your post :cry:

I would love tohelp you all save money this weekend, but alas I'm tied to the WS, I think its something to do with "not more tools".

Have a fun day guys and don't forget to give us unfortunates the low down.

Waka":3j6a8c53 said:
I would love tohelp you all save money this weekend, but alas I'm tied to the WS, I think its something to do with "not more tools".

WS = Wifes strings?

devonwoody":2fj64v4o said:
Waka":2fj64v4o said:

WS = Wifes strings?
It has to be Workshop :D

motownmartin":f1ghociv said:
devonwoody":f1ghociv said:
Waka":f1ghociv said:

WS = Wifes strings?
It has to be Workshop :D

Workshop it is.

Went to Kempton Park today. The first big show that I have attended since taking up woodworking. What a great day. No problems with getting into the place. roadworks removed. All the demonstrators were brilliant, spending enough time with a beginner to explain their product(s). Thanks especially to the Triton demonstrator. If he reads this he will remember me with the wife who was as interested in the workings of the routers as I was. Just to make some of you jealous - after returning home laden with a fair amount of goodies, all purchased in her presence, she said that she had really enjoyed the day. Really bursting now to try some of the purchases out.
Well done to all involved in organising, demonstrating and selling - a great day.

Haggis

Spent about 3 hours there in all.
Decided not to buy a big cordless drill as the one I liked the most (the Milwaukee 18v, suprisingly) was more than I wanted to spend.
Bought a knife and band clamp from Bessey and a router insert plate from Trend - quite a cheap day really.
Had a very helpful chat about the big Triton router with Argee who showed me lots of godd things about it - thanks Ray :) Hope Ethan didn't break anything... :)
Overall there were not as many demos as a Yandle's show and not the same feel to it and definitely not as upmarket as the Axminsters used to be (oh the good old days...). I'd probably go again though as there were some good bargains.

cambournepete":d1jv49u2 said:
Spent about 3 hours there in all.
Bought a knife and band clamp from Bessey and a router insert plate from Trend - quite a cheap day really.

Pete, I was also there yesterday and bought a pair of the new Bessey duoklamps. I looked at the knife (their biggest seller) and apparently I'm the only person who has ever said those knives are uncomfortable (I also thought they were over engineered). When I held it in my right hand the belt clip dug into my palm and the palm side of the frame could have done with being a bit more rounded to ease pressure on the finger joint - I think it would be much more comfortable for a left handed user. They are very compact so would fit into a pocket much better than a normal one.

On the Bahco stand next to Bessey they had their new knife with a simple drop and load blade mechanism and a squeeze trigger release - for the same price (but I realised on the way home that I never actually went back and bought one - one for the next DM order).

Bahco knife

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section//sn/BAHSK

Bessey knife
http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section//sn/BESKNIFE

Out of interest I cut across my left hand thumbnail and into finger flesh last year using the bessey type knife last year.
Needed supaglue at A&E to join back together, I have some slight loss of feeling these days. (thumb )
These knives are shorter in length than Stanley knives so if you have used the Stanley for 50 years or whatever be prepared for less reaction time when using. ??????????

Went to the show for a couple of hours today. As always, it's nice to meet up with others for a chat - Smudger, ColinC, Karl Houtslager, Ray on the Triton stand, Colin Eden-Eadon of Furniture & Cabinet Making, and Martin Brown and his ever-helpful staff on the BriMarc stand.

Thanks for the demo of the large Triton for table use, Ray - a very impressive tool and a very clear explanation of its features.

The new Tormek looks very nice. Really must get one some time. And the new plough from Veritas works so well - a real precision tool.

I'm into scrapers at the moment so had a play around with the Veritas scraper plane. Pity the blade wasn't sharp (others had obviously used it the previous couple of days) so couldn't test it properly, but it feels very nice and I like all the blade adjustment features. In this respect it definitely scores over the Lie Nielsen.

All in all a very enjoyable couple of hours :)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back