Keepsake Box - Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toesy

Established Member
Reaction score
New family member arrived on Monday, so I thought I would have a go at making a keepsake box for the new born

Its a real 1st for me, I have now learnt and made angle cuts with my scroll saw. One in the bottom, so this raise's the box up and also increases the inside space a bit more. And I also used an angle cut to make the lid, which slides forward, and I've sunk two magnets, one in the lid and one on the top front which help keep the lid secure.

I have also installed built in cabinet door release (the spring ones) below the heart section, as I intend to cut a heart key which you push down and then the heart pops up. This will then be inserted into the lid to help with opening (Heart hole yet to be cut).

Its cherry wood and pine, and I will Danish oil and felt line the inside of the box...... Still lots to go, it measures 290mm x 190mm by 110mm high.

Sorry camera flash makes 2nd and 3rd pictures look washy..

Attachments

• Kyle Keepsake Box Lid.jpg
    Kyle Keepsake Box Lid.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 1,759
  • Kyle Keepsake Box Front.jpg
    Kyle Keepsake Box Front.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 1,759
  • Kyle Keepsake Box Top.jpg
    Kyle Keepsake Box Top.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 1,759
That is a beautiful piece and I can tell you are a very good craftsman. The name is just so precise. One of the hardest things for someone new to scroll sawing is to cut letters and yours are just stunning so its obvious you have spent a few years in the workshop. It must have taken some planning before you committed the wood to the saw and its come out perfect in every way.. Well done.

Got to agree with Geoff about your lettering, it's always spot on. I've been scrolling about 15 months now and can't get anything like that. The box is pretty good too. :wink: But I reckon more superlatives will be needed when it's finished. :)

Thanks for the kind words Geoff/Martin, I have only been Scrolling for 11 months.

You are right, I do plan it on the computer first and take my time. I have to say the Olson PGT blades are awesome and so far my favourite, and I use some Flying Dutchmen really fine blades blade's for the really small fine work.

Toesy . . . . you're a natural son. A very high standard or work for someone who hasn't been scrolling long. Can't wait to see it with a finish applied.

Very well done. I love it =D> =D>

Toesy.

As others have said, you have very good crafting skills. In addition to your rapidly acquired scroll sawing ability.

I have been scroll sawing for many years, but I am sure my ability is declining, only this morning I feed the rubbish bin with a work piece that I had spent several hours on.

I think its called age related decline. :(

But it keeps me out of trouble and away from wild, wild women. :-"

Keep up the good work.

Chris R.

Three coats of Danish Oil, lined the inside and put a little heart to help opening the lid.

Very happy with the end result.

Thanks for replies everyone.

Attachments

• keepsake finished.jpg
    keepsake finished.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 1,564
  • keepsake finished closed side.jpg
    keepsake finished closed side.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 1,564
  • keepsake finished closed.jpg
    keepsake finished closed.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 1,564
Toesy I previously said that it was SPECIAL,the only word that I can think to add is EXTRA,I don't think that I would be able to make a wonderful piece of craft like that,well done.

Bryan

WHOAH . . . big ten WHOAH toesy. You have produced a fabulous box and doesn't that Danish oil make the grain pop.

A really fabulous piece of work crafted to a very high standard indeed.

A very well done matey =D> =D> =D>

Back