Katsu/Makita siblings on ebay (red ones)?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trakehner

Reaction score
I see the Katsu has spurred a wave and sellers from China offer what appears to be the same looking tool for prices much cheaper even than the Katsu, down to £17.40. Most of these look identical besides the red plastic used.

Anyone tried one of these and are they the same? £17 for one of these delivered sounds like a super bargain :)

Anything from china that is cheap, is also very poor quality. it cant be any other way.
Even middle priced stuff from china is mostly poor quality.
If you are happy to use the tool untill it breaks and then throw it away, go for it.
If you want tools that will last most of your working life, stay away.

sunnybob":3avy5dbz said:
Anything from china that is cheap, is also very poor quality. it cant be any other way.
If you are happy to use the tool untill it breaks and then throw it away, go for it.

Sorry but I have to disagree there. Not everything from China, cheap or otherwise, is poor quality.

bit more plastic on there than the Katsu and cheaper looking accessories like the spanners and such, I'd also expect cheaper bearings and less refinement in the motor and it's balancing and less QA/QC has gone in to it, so more likely to get a POETS.

assuming you don't intend to push it to hard and only really use it for rounding over and the like then for that price, assuming you don't get a friday job, no reason not to give it a go.

Rorschach":uhroazeo said:
sunnybob":uhroazeo said:

Sorry but I have to disagree there. Not everything from China, cheap or otherwise, is poor quality.

I've bought quite a lot of small stuff, and a few larger items from china. nothing so far to change my mind.

sunnybob":zsa7hcb1 said:
Rorschach":zsa7hcb1 said:
sunnybob":zsa7hcb1 said:

I've bought quite a lot of small stuff, and a few larger items from china. nothing so far to change my mind.

Well that's a sample size of one, so your statement should have been "Anything I have bought....."

These things are only meant for rounding over and the like light work, if I didn't already have a couple of Katsu's I would get one, anyone that does can they let us know if the unit fits the Katsu/Makita base's?

Main difference between some of these is the exit of the power cord, the red one has the cord coming out of the top which makes it impossible to place upside down on the workbench to change bits IMO a major flaw in the design.

Mike

If anyone is thinking of ordering this particular one please note the small print on the EBay listing:

"International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges.
Item location:
Shen Zhen, China "

Should it arrive faulty or develop a fault then it will have to be sent back to China at your expense. Get the Katsu either direct from Aim Tools or Aim Tools 'fulfilled' by Amazon. Costs a bit more but the base is an excellent clone of the Makita one unlike this all plastic base (which is very similar to the Merry Tools version).

My 240v Aim Tools Katsu is a cracking bit of kit and is Made in China.... just like my 110v and 18v Makita trimmers.

sunnybob":2l3l7x4v said:

Any individual company is capable of making a poor product regardless of their country of origin.
These national stereotypes are not helpful.

Rorschach":3bjjte1u said:
Trakehner":3bjjte1u said:

Thanks. Looks very similar as you say. I am sure it would be alright set up with a small round over or chamfer bit.

looks like this item is being sold in a few auctions but by 2 different sellers.
1 seller with 230 transactions for between £17 and £18
the other seller with over 40k transactions and for around £32
given the significant difference in price for what appears to be the same product i might be inclined to question if the very low price is perhaps a scam? set up, offer the product, take the money and run? Much eaiser to do from a long way away like china?

Brandlin":1vk7op5p said:
Rorschach":1vk7op5p said:
Trakehner":1vk7op5p said:

Thanks. Looks very similar as you say. I am sure it would be alright set up with a small round over or chamfer bit.

looks like this item is being sold in a few auctions but by 2 different sellers.
1 seller with 230 transactions for between £17 and £18
the other seller with over 40k transactions and for around £32
given the significant difference in price for what appears to be the same product i might be inclined to question if the very low price is perhaps a scam? set up, offer the product, take the money and run? Much eaiser to do from a long way away like china?

Could be a scam, but if you pay via paypal you are fully protected and won't lose out.

As other have noted (and I missed) this is coming direct from China, as such you will likely pay customs and if it is faulty you will have no customer support. Buy the Aimtools version, it will likely only work out a few £'s extra in the end and I can personally attest to their customer service being excellent.

Been a busy day but had another look at it. First, the Katsu has rpm adjustment, this one does not - its straight 30, 000. Then its the power switch - the Katsu has a rubber wrapped switch where this one appears to use a plastic lever. And then its the cable as Mike suggested.

I know Chinese factories can produce the same item in several qualities, perhaps this is a stripped product of lower quality but until I have my hands on one, I cannot tell.

Rorschach":2wdbhj62 said:
sunnybob":2wdbhj62 said:

Agreed, Apple computers are made in China after all. It is more about design and QA.

I was quite surprised to buy a "Buck" knife, reading all the bumpf about the great American tradition etc ................ then see "made in PRC" stamped on it. I doubt very much that the ones they sell to Americans are made in PRC, though. Apparently a lot of American brands sold in the US are still US made,but the same items sold here are Chiwanese.

The switch to these (red ones) appears identical to the Makita 3709, indeed they`re more of a copy of it but some having a metal body. So, anyone that pulled the trigger on one of these?

Back