K10 adaptor ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hutzul

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Having bought a K10 chuck with a 1.1/4"x8tpi thread, I have been driven mad by chasing about trying to buy an adaptor/insert to reduce 1.1/4"x8tpi thread to 3/4"x16tpi.

I did buy this http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-th ... prod23491/ Ref T01, but it does not fit the K10 without machining down and drilling countersunk holes to match existing holes etc etc, not a good reflection on Axminster, but their Technical guy was apologetic.

I've phoned Axminster, Peter Childs, Record, Charnwood and a few others but to no avail.

All I need is an insert similar to this http://www.peterchild.co.uk/osc/patriot ... p-356.html.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please ? With a link I will be over the moon.

Cheers guys

I suspect although ,assuming it's the correct way round, the adaptor will allow the chuck to be fitted it will be in the form of an extension that will throw the chuck further forward on the spindle, I would not expect it to be made such that it will fit totally within the body of the chuck.

Chucks made for exchangeable inserts have over sized threaded sockets to take reducing sleeves, the K10 as far as I know was never intended to accommodate reducing adaptors but threaded individually to a specific thread standard.

I suspect that the reference adaptor is as per:
adapt2.jpg

Not what is required:
adapt1.jpg

And the thread diameters may preclude them being made on a simple sleeve.

Attachments

• adapt2.jpg
    adapt2.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,173
  • adapt1.jpg
    adapt1.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 1,173
Hi, just had another thought...

You may also have some joy contacting antarmike in "another place"...

http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11353

His wife has a record lathe and he's made several bespoke items for turners on that forum.

I agree with Chas that there's no telling what adapters will provide but in principle I can see very little reason why the 3/4" x 16TPI female thread shouldn't be accomodated within a 1 1/4 x 8TPI male part because the root diameter of the 1 1/4 x 8TPI thread (1 1/8" or there abouts) ought to leave approximately 3/16" to the high-spots of the 3/4" x 16TPI part.

Again, good luck
Jon

Trouble is with making any bespoke threaded adaptor, if they are made correctly as per how antarmike does the job, making a dummy mandrel etc. for mounting the part machined item to ensure correct alignment is the the time factor involved.
If the person doing the machining is going to cover their basic costs let alone any profit they are likely to be greater than purchasing the correct chuck in the first place.

If you already have a whole range of chucks and accessories and change you lathe then things might prove cost effective but in a lot of instances even then things will be a compromise.

In a lot of instances the machinist may want at least the chuck body to hand for checking purposes.

If the OP has access to a metalworking lathe, as others have noted, it should be possible if a little fiddly, to make an inserted adaptor with internal 3/4" thread and external 1.25" - there's plenty of "meat" available between the two. I've done a couple for my Mystro because it's such a rare nose thread (but identical to the ML/Super 7s, which helps). And while Chas is right that a bespoke mandrel would be best, there are 3/4" male on No1 MT adaptors available off the shelf (at least, there's one in my kit). If the basic threading was done in a 4-jaw chuck, then the final fitting to the necessary registers done on the 3/4" morse adaptor, it wouldn't be too bad?
If the OP has access to anyone trustworthy with a metalworking lathe, he could borrow my adaptor.

CHJ":3c3ia2op said:
I suspect although ,assuming it's the correct way round, the adaptor will allow the chuck to be fitted it will be in the form of an extension that will throw the chuck further forward on the spindle, I would not expect it to be made such that it will fit totally within the body of the chuck.
Chucks made for exchangeable inserts have over sized threaded sockets to take reducing sleeves, the K10 as far as I know was never intended to accommodate reducing adaptors but threaded individually to a specific thread standard..

The adaptor I have bought, if turned down a few mm, WILL fit inside the chuck body. And if I cannot buy an off-the-shelf insert 1.1/4x8 male with 3/4x16female threads, I will be machining my own, on my Myford ML10. I might look at pipe fittings yet, as all I need is the 1.1/4x8 male thread and I have boring bar and 3/4x16 taps.

I have learned from this experience what a pain it is adapting Axminster chucks.

Though thanks for your comments CHJ (nice website btw) =D>

Spindle
These guys may be worth a phone call:

http://www.cablesystems.co.uk/products/ ... pe-bb.html

Regards Mick
This is my next port of call, thanks Mick

Biggest problem is ensuring that the things run true, if you turn the outer to just be a press fit in the K10 thread as opposed to thread cutting then as long as you align the 3/4" bore on a press fit spigot turned in your chuck, it should be good enough.

Pipe fittings and adaptors are a risky choice as they are not always manufactured with accuracy of eccentricity as their major criteria.

Both of the threads are on the lathes supplied by Record Power. I have in the past got an adaptor, not the type you are after, but it was not listed on their website. It might be worth a phone call to see whether they have the one you are after and have not listed that either.

Bill

chipmunk":13gi4t1i said:
Hi, just had another thought...

You may also have some joy contacting antarmike in "another place"...

http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11353

Jon
WOWEE !! What a great website. I contacted Mike, he replied in a few hours, but I've put this problematic project on the backburner for a while, as I treat myself to a new G3.

I signed up to woodworkers institute, and what a loada stuff they have on there, dont know how I missed them in my previous searches.

So thank you very much Jon for the link, it made my day !!

Back