Just wondering....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
I initially learned to turn on a graduate in school.Used to go and have a play, unsupervised in my lunch break. There was no variable speed so it stayed on the same speed as changing the belt was a fiddle. My tools were all scrapers made from old files with different shaped ends for different purposes. We had a hook tool made of some bent steel done in the metal shop for the inside of bowls. We didn't have chucks so everything was either screwed onto a face plate or glued on using brown paper and glue you had to melt in a pot first. When I think of the things I made, bowls, lamps and even a side table, I am amazed I lived thinking back. What I was wondering though was how many of the turners today could make something using only the bare essentials (not files as scrapers mind), no chuck,just one or two tools, no variable speed etc?

Pete

Well the turners long ago made some wonderful stuff with very little equipment and most of what they had they'd made.

As you found in your youth you don't actually need much but the advertisers make us we think we do.

Turning is not my main thing but I do bits as required for parts in my furniture making. I find my little old Record RPML 300 with its extension bed and three speeds copes quite well. The head swivels when needed and being all cast iron is very solid. I have half-a-dozen gouges and scrapers mostly home-made.

You were lucky when I was at school all we had was a pole lathe and a rusty nail :)

I do think it bears thinking about that chucks, finger nail grinds etc are for hobbyists - 5 year apprentice served turners would use a skew, spindle gouge and bowl gouge. Probably spent the first 3 months learning how to sharpen the tools - no grinding jigs; followed by another 3 months getting to know how to sand and mix the glue. Then perhaps be allowed to round a spindle a few thousand times.

I'm sure some could perform with the bare minimum, but not on that barley twist that was posted previously - which I assume was originally turned with bare essentials.

Brian

Bodrighy":12f0h334 said:
I was wondering though was how many of the turners today could make something using only the bare essentials (not files as scrapers mind), no chuck,just one or two tools, no variable speed etc?

Pete

I can't make much, even with all the equipment we now get as 'standard'!! #-o

(Take the eucalyptus bowl I have just been trying to make - I know you guys warned the wood cracks before it hits the floor, but this is mental!! Admittedly, I like the effct of the cracks, but man, does Eucalyptus move a lot - I've re-rounded it twice and it's still changed shape a bit).

Although we are tempted to buy the latest gizmos, some, (eg the scroll chuck) clearly give a massive advantage in time-saving. I guess that is where the biggest benefit would be seen.

gregmcateer":1lxen0b4 said:
Although we are tempted to buy the latest gizmos, some, (eg the scroll chuck) clearly give a massive advantage in time-saving. I guess that is where the biggest benefit would be seen.
Agreed, there's no denying that they are not essential, but for most turners the time saving with the ease of handling gained is far more satisfyingly re-directed towards actual turning.

Back