Just ordered my first Lathe!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicguthrie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks.
I'm only a year or so into the woodwork scene, and have enjoyed every minute of it, especially that feeling of accomplishment when you can down-tools, check over your work and say... "I made that!" Having come from an IT background, where most folks can't see where all the hours of work go, and the majority of it disappears when the power is turned off, that's a very nice feeling.

I just talked myself into ordering a Lathe from Axminster, the 1416VS which was being discontinued, and got them to cut me a slight deal on an Axminster Evolution precision 4 jaw chuck to go with it. I intend to keep at turning until I count myself as having mastered it, hopefully that will be another 40 years or so from now. From what I've managed to dig out of reviews, forums et al, it seems like a very good lathe for small work, which is all I'm planning, though the jaws may be overkill for my requirements at least to start with.

I guess I've got 2 things to ask, one - I guess I'd like opinions on if this was a good choice! :) It's £600 that I'd taken a long time to decide to part with, but seemed so little extra over the smaller Jet 1220VS that it seemed a good thing. I only want to turn small stuff, maybe up to small bowls, but mostly pens, chess sets, desk lamp parts and such. Two I'd like any tips anybody has on a good source for beginners learning material and turning ideas. I have very little experience on a Lathe and an awful lot to learn, and you guys having gone through this part yourselves could help me avoid buying books stuffed with page filler or spending hours trawling unhelpful websites.

I look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Nic.

Hi
Don't know that lathe so can't comment.
On learning, try to get to see as many turners as you can, join a club, go to demos, ideally find some kind guy nearby with a lathe. If funds allow, you could even go on a course. Every time you see someone turn, you learn a new trick.
There are lots of turning books out there. I found Richard Raffan and Keith Rowley very good, but am sure there are other good authors.
I would suggest getting good at the between centres work as a start, before you move on to bowls.
You will have a load of fun turning.

Hi Nic

The lathe you have selected looks fine, (if a little underpowered for something with the clearance to spin 14" blanks), and I would suggest you consider getting the extension bed before they discontinue it, there will be times to come when 16" between centres is not enough, (I think we all start with small ambitions but they have a habit of expanding to exceed the capabilities of our equipment).

Book wise you will not go wrong with Keith Rowley's 'Woodturning, A Foundation Course'.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodturning-Fou ... 829&sr=1-1

The other really important aspect for beginners to master is tool sharpening, (Keith Rowley is quite descriptive on this). It is essential to use well sharpened tools to make cuts and acheive a reasonable finish straight from the tool - I'm not suggesting you have to spend huge amounts of money on a proprietry sharpening system, just make learning the basics one of your first aims.

Have fun and I hope you enjoy the turning 'journey' as much as I do.

Regards Mick

i have that one its a great lathe. gutted it's being discontinued. i hope it doesn't mean its gonna be hard to get parts for it when and if they're needed.

stick on here and you'll learn loads. im not a big book reader to learn things .... find it easier to pick up via pictures and videos so here's a good learning sorce. also... lots of practice.

proper job, try woodturning a foundation course by Keith Rowley its a very useful and informative book.

looks to me as if the 14-16vs lathe is discontinued in white & still carrying on in the new Axminster colour scheme
Barry

Welcome to this forum Nic.

I have just bought a lathe, (picking it up on Tuesday, I hope). I've been playing about part time on a lathe at a charity workshop, and have picked up a lot of tips from youtube, and was intrigued with inside out turning.
I tend to read a bit for the basics of a skill, then pick up tools and have a go.

Don't forget to consider dust masks please as your health is paramount.

Excellent. Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll definitely look into that book, two votes for the same book in just 6 comments suggests it's very good.

Melinda - I checked with them before buying, and they said that the spares and parts will continue available for years to come, possibly as Cookie said, due to it mostly being just a change of colour.

I've ordered a £350 Numatic dust extractor, and I'm still chosing my face protection between a 3M 6700 passive filter full mask, or the Trend Airshield. I take dust very seriously - I had 20 collapsed lungs before I stopped counting, and I had my first run in with cancer at 20 yrs old. So you won't get any argument from me Hutzul :)

As for the sharpening side, I've been practicing with my carving chisels and normal bench chisels for the last year, and decided to invest in a WorkSharp 3000 for sharpening. Someone once mentioned to me the necessity of keeping turning chisels sharp by saying "A normal chisel blunts pretty fast just making short cuts with a mallet, Turning chisels make constant cuts at up to 40mph thru the wood for minutes on end..." that got me really thinking, so investing in a decent sharpener came before choosing my turning chisels! :)

There's not many turners around here, it's a small town, so any ideas, videos, courses etc I can find online will be a great help, I've always been a bit of a bookworm anyway.

Any suggestions for sites for inspiration on things to make?

Thanks again

Nic.

There seems to be at least one other turner around Elgin as someone has been advertising a lot of turning bits and bobs in ScotAds recently. Of course, this may imply they have given up, but they just might be upgrading and so have some useful comments. Haven't got the number now, but the ads were in several times before Christmas in the Tools section of ScotAds.

Welcome to the forum Nic.
I would also recommend the Keith Rowley Foundation course book. It is excellent and there is also a DVD available if you can get hold of it. I got a copy on Ebay a few years ago. 'Seeing' what he was saying was also very useful.

I see you're from Elgin... my parents come from the NE of Scotland and so a lot of my relatives live round about you. Gardenstown, Turriff, Fraserborough, as well as Aberdeen. Used to go stop off in Elgin every year on my way to my Grandparents as my other Grandparents are buried in the cemetery, but not been up for a while. It's a very small world.

Hi Nic,
Welcome to the forum.
Besides the Keith Rowley book, you might also like Phil Iron`s book, Two in One Manual: Woodturning, which has a series of projects, graded in difficulty. It is more modern in its approach and presentation.
A DVD I like is Mastering Woodturning:Tools and Techniques by Glenn Lucas. Again, modern in approach and well presented.
KTMP produce a large number of woodturning DVD`s by well known turners and always have a good selection on Ebay. Some of these are very good too.

ian

Dia duit,

with regards learning, i wouldn't disagree with recommendations for rowley's book.
But the book i found the most helpful is one by Gordon Stokes, cant remember the exact title. (got it along with keith rowley's book for £0.01 each!!)
There are some great tutorial videos and project videos on youtube, free of course.
theres a fella on youtube - carl jacobson- i learned a lot over the year watching his project videos, and lots of others on there too.
Ádh-mór,
ÁD

their not really discontinuing it are they,just changing the colour and the name,the extension bed is still available for the new named model

Hi nicguthrie, and welcome to the forum. I'm a relative newcomer to UKW myself but have already found the forum an invaluable resource - I log in nearly every evening.
I would endorse the suggestions for Keith Rowley's book, excellent for beginners and I suspect useful for the more experienced turner too (I can't claim to be that experienced myself). I bought mine from ebay for very little money.

Another suggestion is Turning Green Wood by Michael O'Donnell - if you fancy turning green wood that is. The first book on turning I ever read was a library copy of the Craftsman Woodturner by Peter Childs. It's good, and still available, but probably a bit dated now. I'm thinking of getting my own copy,again from ebay.

Whatever you decide, you have embarked on a fascinating hobby which offers so much more than plain bowls and egg cups (although these are very nice). When you become accomplished at your work you can diversify into such things as laminated turning, inside out turning, hollow forms, eccentric turning etc. I plan to tackle some of these one day - when I become accomplished!!

K

Back