Joins in wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

123westaway

Reaction score
Hi i have recently made a few bandsaw box's, i have made some short ones which have worked out really nicely but i made an attempt i a 3 draw box, the only way i could do this was by making 3 separate boxs and joinging them together.
I have attached a few pic's to help with the describition, the problem i have is that the joins are showing i want to keep the finish natual so i dont think filling is an option any advice would be great !! thanks, Adam.w

Attachments

• Optimized-IMAG0366.jpg
    Optimized-IMAG0366.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 249
  • Optimized-IMAG0365.jpg
    Optimized-IMAG0365.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 249
Hi Westaway I'm no expert at this sort of thing being a site joiner.But I think if it was me I would be tempted to try something like a V groove around the joints so as to disguise them.Im sure there will be someone along soon that is more clued up on this sort of thing than me.

I have made a few band saw boxes, usually from left over timber. You have two choices with joins. Either make them invisible or make a feature of it. Looking at the photos I would have joined them with a lazy slopping S and rounded the edge with a bearing guided router cutter. The space between the two boxes appears to be quite large, asking for something to be done or bring the boxes closer together. I usually finish the inside of the boxes with flocking.

If it were me I would open the gap and insert a contrasting sliver of wood either lighter or darker. Or perhaps some coloured resin to make a feature of the line.

Some good ideas here ! i have some walnut left over from another project and i think i am going to some how go for the contrasting slivers of wood, Thanks to everyone i will keep you posted.

What are you using for the joint cut, bandsaw ? do you have a Table saw or Chop saw ? better fitting joints are more likely using a circular saw blade. One or two small vee groves can be used as a feature to hide the actual join line.

Similar to the beads etc. Here and you can see the sort of joint you get straight off a circular saw blade.

Can you make a real feature of the join by cutting a "jigsaw" type locking join either left loose or filled and glued, it would kind of follow on with the bandsaw box construction etc.

Back