Joining T&G solid wood flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiffy

Established Member
Reaction score
A Friend has asked that I fit his solid wood flooring over the holidays. Its the floating kind that gets the foam underlay.

His hall is an L shape and this is where I need some help. At the join of the L, what is the best method of joining.
Do you simply make sure that you lay the first straight with the tongue facing the other straight and then start laying from it putting in the end grooves ?

Is the other option of mitering it a viable one?

Basic stuff I know, but then my skills on this are basic :oops:

Thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas,
Ray.

My understanding is that you lay away from the door so the light and view leads you into the long part of the hall way the L just joins to the main run groove over tongue its important to leave the specified gaps for expansion and to acclimatise the timber to the site.

I agree with Old. The only comment I would add is that mitres only work if you are exactly 90 degrees between the two directions. My flat wasn't and the way around it was to insert a transition strip between the two lines of floorboard..about 1 inch wide. I biscuited into the ends of the two lines and then into the transition strip. Easy to draw but difficult to explain.

What are you planning to do where the skirting board is? Pull it off and refit? Easier if it's a newish property. A b****r if it's an old property as the skirting nails will almost certainly be rusted in place. I hired a door trimmer to cut the required thickness out from the bottom of my skirting boards so that I could slide the floorboards underneath. You still have to remove the skirting from one end of the room.

Doors need to be trimmed and don't make the mistake I did and nearly imprisoned myself in the room I was working in.

How are the boards held together?

lastly ..treat yourself to a Fein Multimaster for this job. It is ideal and will save you so much hassle.

Back