joining plastic -lead

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverknowesbob

Reaction score
I am looking for a simple way to join aplastic waste to lead pipe the major problem that water lies in the pipe. ??a rubber sleeve ??where can i buy or any suggestions(polite please) :?: :?:

Usual practice is to replace lead with plastic however you may be able to use a plastic straight compression coupling or get some heat shrink tube to make the connection.

Not sure about waste pipe but for water pipe the usual way of doing it now is something called a lead-lok connector. Tightens around the lead pipe making a secure joint then a normal compression fit on the other end. I had one in place for ten years with no problem until replacing the lead pipe earlier this month. They may well do larger sizes as well but as OLD says replacing the lead is the ideal option.

Andrew

Over a number of years we had problems with various attempts to join a lead and plastic waste pipe. None of them worked and in the end we had the lead pipe taken out altogether, replacing it with plastic.

Gill

the lead pipe in Q is app 50mmdia & the plastic is 40mm it is as i have replaced my bath with a large shower cubicle and this pipe leads to the waste. i have rammed as much plastic pipe into lead as i could &used sealant and a plastic sleve allto no avail

thanks for your thoughs & comments

bob

Smudger":2iakxhz1 said:
I thought the trick was to sweat a length of copper pipe into the lead, and then connect the plastic to the copper?

This is how it used to be done for water pipe which is 15mm but they now use something like a lead-lok connector - see my previous post. However waste pipe is typically around 40mm and that is a very big piece of copper pipe.

Andrew

Marky":39lvxlrw said:
sweated joints are the best but who does them anymore.

I've got to admit that this is one thing I have never tried. Has always seemed to me to be part of the old-school of plumbing - highly skilled and requiring a time-served plumber to do properly.

Andrew

Its funny really, I found a piece of moleskin in the garage the other day that we used to use for wiping the joints when we (sweat) jointed 11KV cables for the electricity board.

Brings back some memories.

Marky

Latest posts

Back