Jet drum sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJP

Reaction score
Hi all

Has anyone got a Jet drum sander? I've just got the 16-32 and think it's a great little machine but I'm having a bit of trouble with the tracking of the feed belt, seems ok until timber is fed through then it moves of to the left. Anyone got/had the same problem?

Cheers
Russ

Hi I don't have a Jet. But this is the model I have been using recently.
http://www.machineking.com/2002_sicar__meta_950_1-k__37_inch_wide_belt_sander.html
Don't have any tracking problems on this machine, but since we had it brand new in 2006 it's broken down more than 3 times!

The other drum sander I used before that one, was also a Sicar. But it did have tracking problems. Usually found that the air compressor needed time to build up properly. Also found it useful to open it up untension the belts and push them left to right a couple of times and centre them, then tension them again. Used to work fine after that.

Hi Russ
Have a Performax 16/32, which I think is pretty much identical.
Switch the feed belt up to full speed and use the little spanners at the back corners of the belt. To avoid overstretching, I'd start by slackening off the side which the belt is moving away from (just a smudge/quarter turn) If that doesn't correct, tighten the other side a smudge. Keep at this till it runs true.
It's a pain to true, but a great little machine once set.
HTH
Steve

I have a Performax 22/44 and as far as adjusting goes, it's just as Steve says.

I'd add a couple of observations. First, I find the adjustment stays put so it's not a question of having to do it each time you use it. Secondly, in my case, I use the machine infrequently and I found that the conveyor belt develops ridges in the area of the rollers (ie, its stays bent at those points), so it would be good to turn the belt once in a while even if you don't use it - if you can remember to do it which I can't :D

I take it they don't have a feature to release the tension, like bandsaws?

Does anyone have a sure-fire way of fettling the drum? I find I'm always having to adjust the drum to get it parallel to the bed. I've got it good at the moment, but it is a real pain when it goes out. There is fine adjustment for raising it, but you have to rely on gravity to lower it. Or is it the other way round, I forget. Anyway, it's a pain.

Most recently I've slackened it of completely, put a piece of MDF in it and lowered the whole drum until it sits on the MDF. Then tightened it up. It seems to have done the trick.

Like Chris, I don't use it that often, but when I do I want it true. There is no point in having beautifully sanded wedges!
S

Steve, I have done the same - use a piece of MDF.

I also try to ensure I turn the thing being sanded around an equal number of times so that whatever is being done gets a similar treatment on both sides - then you won't get a wedge just a sort of shallow pyramid :lol:

Crikey - never thought of that. Great idea, thanks Steve. Have always faffed around running slivers through both ends and comparing with my calipers.

joiner_sim":2bf66i2f said:
Hi I don't have a Jet. But this is the model I have been using recently.
http://www.machineking.com/2002_sicar__meta_950_1-k__37_inch_wide_belt_sander.html
Don't have any tracking problems on this machine, but since we had it brand new in 2006 it's broken down more than 3 times!

The other drum sander I used before that one, was also a Sicar. But it did have tracking problems. Usually found that the air compressor needed time to build up properly. Also found it useful to open it up untension the belts and push them left to right a couple of times and centre them, then tension them again. Used to work fine after that.

Hey JS - I think you'll find that the one that DunbarH has is a tad smaller than that one :wink: - Rob

Yes, I guessed, but same sort of principals I think..... except on that model there is a quick release for the tension. Flick of a switch for tension on or off.>that is with the compressor already on. Tend to usually leave the tension on always though, except when the compressors off for the night.

We're upgrading it soon to a wider one, that has been used at the shows this year, so we're getting it at cut price n all! :wink:

Thanks everyone

It seemed to run ok until I started feeding timber through but think I've managed to sort it now (a bit of a pain but hopefully will stay put).

Dan, the one in your link was the one I was after but picked mine up for less than half it's original price and it's only 2 months old so can't complain.
Apart from the belt problem I think it's a great machine for it's size and definatley saves a lot of effort with a belt sander.

Thanks again
Russ

Back