Jet 4224B Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themackay

Established Member
Reaction score
I Have been looking to upgrade my lathe for some time not a lot coming up second hand so may take the plunge and buy new Axi have a decent reduction on the Jet 422b just now any users on here ,Was wondering if the vac chuck system was good .I was keeping my eyes open for a wivamac but like hens teeth.

No big Jet owners then what the general opinion on Wivamac compared to the Jet I do prefer to buy non chinese if possible but there is a substantial price difference between the two.

I bought a Wivamac 801 vario a couple of years ago. I did consider the Big Jet lathes and the Vicmark lathes when purchasing. My primary concern was to get the maximum over bed turning width. I felt the Wivamac gave this, for its price. The Vicmark machines were just too expensive. Where as the Jets were massive lumps of cast iron! Very heavy and big for the capacity they offered - this was a consideration for me as I don't have a big workshop.

Overall I am very happy with my choice. The Wivamac is a quality bit of kit. However, at the kind of prices these lathes cost I'm sure the others are good quality too. It's a question of personal taste.

Good luck in deciding.

M

I think the Wivamac would be my favoured choice I dont think there is a huge price difference between them all.

The Jet is a big impressive lump that is on my Axi wish list....... but the Wivamac has stainless steel beds and that weighs heavily in its favour.
Ultimately the choice is yours :)

I would like to aquire a Wivamac bbut very scarce 2nd hand how long does one wait before taking the plunge and buying new Im tempted with the deal Axi has with the Jet just now think I may get woodturning club discount as well.No doubt as soon as I buy new several will come along .Anyone have experience of a compressed air vac chuck set up.
Alan

Grahamshed":36i2xyvp said:
the Wivamac has stainless steel beds and that weighs heavily in its favour :)

Don't think they do Graham, but still very good lathes indeed !

Cheers, Paul

I have found Wivamac lathes in Germany £800 cheaper than uk for same model they tell me they are unable to supply Wivamac to the uk so what has happened to the free market within Europe .

Alan

If you are still thinking about the Jet, David Biven may be cheaper than Axi and possibly close enough for you to go and have a look. Free delivery and chuck included!
http://bivenmachinerysales.co.uk/index. ... uct_id=125

One thing to consider is quality. I have a Jet 3520B and it is a fine lathe for the money - does everything it says on the box and does it all very well - but the finish is not as good as premium lathes such as Wivamac and Vicmarc. Also, many of the minor threads such as the indexing screws are UNC, which is a pain in the neck when trying to mount or modify bits and pieces. I assume the 4224B would be similar, although it does have a better indexing facility than the 3520B as well as the vacuum chuck facility of course.

Don't know anything about the Wivamacs I'm afraid, so can't help there.

Duncan

Thanks for the link Duncan Have not come across them. I am also considering the 3520B as an option.
Axi Have a good reduction on them just now.
Alasn

Back