Jessem - Major Let Down

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger

Established Member
Reaction score
Having had my plans to build a router table out of a kitchen worktop scuppered by not being able to flaten the material out I've been looking around for a router table to buy.

After receiving my annual bonus this month and spending 3/4 of it on a holiday to keep the family happy I decided to buy a quality table with the rest and the decision came down to the Benchdog, Woodpeckers or Jessem. As Jessem has the phenolic top that tipped the balance for me so I ordered the Jessem package from Rutlands along with the Mitre Slide.

It turned up last Friday and I've just been assembling it to find out :-

1. 14 cap head screws for attaching the table to the base missing
2. One hex bolt missing for assembling the base.
3. One grub screw missing from the Router Lift leveling mechanism.
4. The table has a bow across its diagonals of 1mm which isn't a lot but prevents the router lift sitting flush in its opening.
5. The router lift itself has a bow in the aluminium plate from left to right sagging by about 1mm in the centre.
6. The router lift has one sharp edge down the right hand side with a burr and looks like its been dropped on its end during manufacturing as there is a pronounced rise of 2mm in the surface of the plate in this area. All of these faults have been anodised over in the factory.

So much for a 'premium product'. I'll be returning the table and router lift to Rutlands tomorrow.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I am not suprised at all. Trouble is with these sort of quality, non mass made items some of them are not quite up to scratch. However I would not necessarily be put off entirely - see what Rutlands say. I have had good experiences with both Rutlands and Jessem, so am confident they will sort it out for you.

The Jessem Rout-r-lift is a great bit of kit, you have to try it.

Neil

Hi Neil,

I hope this can be sorted out as it's not too much to ask for the price, a flat table and router lift ! :x

I'll talk to Rutlands tomorrow and post the outcome.

Aftert a phone call to Rutlands they arranged a pick up of the table and rout r lift this afternoon. Hopefully I'll get replacements before the bank holiday as I've got some bedroom furniture to make.

Rutlands have been first class so far. They have confirmed the problems with the goods originally supplied and have been talking to Jessem to get the tolerances Jessem work to. Suprisingly the tolerance for the Jessem router table is 1mm. Not sure if that's +-1.00mm or not. This seems a big tolerance for something marketed as a premium product. The Benchdog table is .008'' flatness !

Hats off to Rutlands who have physically checked the product and are shipping replacements for delivery tomorrow.

Whilst solid phenolic sheet has some advantages it is often not made to a precision thickness, so even if your piece is undistorted it may not be actually flat, a big piece maybe 30 thou variance (almost 1mm)

MDF by contrast, about 5thou so if surface factory laminated in a press may start flatter, but phenolic supporters complain it will move with time...

I'm not sure about thickness tolerance for tufnol (fabric reinforced phenolic used for engineering) but a plastics supplier will tell you; could be a better use of 50 quid?

I agree with your point on certain phenolics vs MDF tolerance wise Ivan. I've had a look at the Attwater site and got similar information.

Rutlands delivered today and I eagerly unpacked the table top and rout r lift. The table was a bit out by probably 0.5 mm across its length so I was a bit concerned. When I mounted it to the Jessem stand the screws pulled the table to the frame and it's now as near perfect as I could have hoped for. The route r lift is spot on as well and is now nice and flush with the table top with my Triton fitted in place. The fence is a work of art and again dead square to the table :D :D :D

Rutlands have been first class through out and even sent me a £25 tool voucher for my troubles. How's that for service ?:D

Back