Japanese tea house.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I'm planning to build a 3.6m x 2.4m hobby-studio in my garden, but I wanted to create a japanese-feel to it....something like this....

cozen.jpg

I'm feeling confident with regards to the walls etc, but I'm totally fazed by the roof. Does anyone know of any free plans or guides on this kind of thing? Also, I was intending to use cedar shingles, but worry that the unusual roof design will result in leaks ?

Anyone got any previous experience with this kind of thing ?

Regards
Joe

[/url]

This should be good!

What in particular is fazing you about the roof?

Hello Geno.

Left hand side of the upper-roof ……. See the little white triangle of vertical wall ?
How do the tiles at the bottom of this start ? How do I stop rainwater running down this wall from getting underneath the first row of shingles ?

Hello there,

now I'm not too sure how the Japanese do it but I'm sure there'd have to be at least some kind of basic flashing.

If I was going to replicate it and be happy thats how I'd do it, the rest of the roof would be similar to dealing with a hip roof.

Plenty of members here far better versed with roofing matters but thats my pennies worth. :)

Would be interested in hearing a remedy that avoids the flashing

Back