January Challenge - THE RESULTS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henton49er

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are the results for the January Challenge – a pierced turning

Judge’s Marks (by Paul Hannaby)
1st: Heatherw - Good shape and combination with the piercing – 10 points
2nd: Dalboy - An interesting combination of shapes – 8 points
3rd: Random Orbital Bob - Nicely turned and finished – 6 points
4th: tpot - Good use of piercing for star shapes – 4 points
5th: Sammo - An interesting approach to the problem – 2 points

All other entrants get one point each for entering the Challenge

Entrants’ Marks
All thirteen entrants returned their preferences by the close of the voting period (10.00pm tonight).

Dalboy was ranked in first place by 8 of the entrants and either second or third by three more entrants – a good degree of agreement on his excellent piece – 5 points
Heatherw – was placed first by two entrants and second or third by 8 of the entrants – 4 points
Procell – third place – 3 points
Dennisk – fourth place – 2 points
Nev, Soylent1 and Sammo – equal fifth place – 1 point each

Overall Scores
Heatherw – 14 points – WINNER OF THE PLAQUE FOR OVERALL FIRST PLACE – CONGRATULATIONS!! =D> =D>
Dalboy – 13 points
Random Orbital Bob – 6 points
Tpot – 4 points
Procell – 4 points
Dennisk – 3 points
Sammo – 3 points
Nev – 2 points
Soylent1 – 2 points
Melinda_dd, Sheptonphil, winemaker, Jethro – 1 point each

Some excellent pieces this month, and a good turnout for the start of the year. As expected (and wanted) some completely different interpretations of the theme.

If Heatherw could PM me her postal address, I will send her the plaque for the month’s overall winner.

And so to February’s Challenge – a fisherman’s priest. Details and requirements will be posted soon!! :D :D

Well done all =D> , a decent turnout with some interesting ideas 8)
and I must say the wormy apple put a smile on my face =D>

Thank you Mike, I suspect you may need a lie down in a darkened room after sorting the numbers out :shock:

I agree there were some beautiful pieces there. It was a very difficult choice.
Well done everyone

I have been truly amazed at the variety and quality of the entries and am really glad that it wasn't my job to judge them.
Well done everybody.

Congratulations to Heatherw for a great piece of turning and piercing.

I very enjoyable experience and some very good pieces well done to the organisation and judging I certainly would not want to decide. Every one that took part made a great effort.

Look forward to the rest of the year.
Would also like to thank all those that voted for my piece

Congratulations to everyone and many thanks for the effiecient and quick juding.

Well worth doing the challenge to get you out of your comfort zone. I am definitely going to try and enter something every month.

Thanks

Andy

Well, I thought Dalboy would win that one with his spectacular piece, so I'm quite surprised. Glad I didn't have to judge. I also like the apple very much, the original concept was good and the turning and colouring seem to be spot on. Plus it's completely different - How did you get those colours to mix like that, Procell?

Thank you for the kind comments. I am glad the apple and worm brought a few smiles.
Heather. There is no secret to the process. all I did was stain the whole thing yellow then applied the red over the top using a cotton bud. Luckily the wood has some spalting which added to the effect. It was a little bright when i finished it so i used some Briwax I had lying around to dull it down a little before applying the MC wax

procell":29w03b1v said:
Thank you for the kind comments. I am glad the apple and worm brought a few smiles.
Heather. There is no secret to the process. all I did was stain the whole thing yellow then applied the red over the top using a cotton bud. Luckily the wood has some spalting which added to the effect. It was a little bright when i finished it so i used some Briwax I had lying around to dull it down a little before applying the MC wax

My wife thought your worm was great and we both had a laugh at it and it was great to see you had thought out of the box =D> =D>

Well done all I wish I could have taken part but hopefully ill be in better state of health for this months =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> to all that took part there is no losers all entrants are winners in their own right
Regards
Bill

Well done to everyone. Sorry I couldn't enter this month, but I was beaten by the weather. Mine wouldn't have stood a snowball's chance in any case.

Latest posts

Back