I've done the 'P' word...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Got me a pen turning set to use up some of the little bits and bobs I seem to keep as I don't seem able to send them for firewood. I've got no fancy polishes or paper or anything so they're sanded down to 600 and finished with sanding sealer and hard wax.

The very first pen I've ever made. Spalted sycamore.
ppppens004.jpg

Next a Walnut one.
ppppens003.jpg

Then an Apple...
ppppens001.jpg

What do you think?

JT

Those all like very nice JT :D fo first attempts :shock:
Be prepared for many others.
Can i ask where you got the pen kits from :?:

Your hooked very nice for your first try, have a look on You Tube at pen turning videos, MM sanding and BLO/CA finish is good, along with many others. I feel sure you will make many many more well done.

Thanks Chaps :D

Paul.J":2ae8xbti said:
Can i ask where you got the pen kits from :?:

The kits were in with the box of equiptment. A Rotur universal pen turning set.There was 5,I made another spalted sycamore one thats not in the pics as I got the figuring wrong,it ended up only on the top half and didn't look as good(its my pen now :lol: ). The remaining one I cocked up by pushing the twist mechanism in too far and then destroying it trying to 'tease' it out, lesson learned :lol:

JT

Oh dear, another one bites the dust. BLO / CA is the pen alchemists text speak for Boiled Linseed Oil and Superglue. :shock: Sounds lethal but it's what they use...I'm sure someone will come and tell you how

pete

well well well JT, never thought i'd see the day. They are really good although being picky the first pens top half is a little wide at the centerband but that will come. To say its your first time and you only have sealer and wax you did good, not sure you would need to go down the BLO/CA route as yet, take your time and experiment with them first.
If you get a thin rod you can knock off the nib cover and also the clip end, and its possible to buy a kit to dissasemble an entire pen, if you think you will do loads more it a worthwhile investment, saved me loads in the past.
Hope to see more, well done..

Bodrighy":h30kqu2p said:
Oh dear, another one bites the dust.

Fear not Pete,I still like bigger,less metalwork objects but this was fast and furious fun and seems a great way to use up the inevitable 'to nice to throw out, to small to use bits of timber(not to mention a good saving come xmas :twisted: )

stevebuk":h30kqu2p said:
....the first pens top half is a little wide at the centerband but that will come. To say its your first time and you only have sealer and wax you did good, not sure you would need to go down the BLO/CA route as yet

I didn' want to scuff up my shiny new bushings Steve :lol: :lol:
How do you use CA as a finish though? as in applying and polishing it?

JT

HaHa, another one bites the pen slope. I think they ae very good JT. The BLO / CA method is ably demonstrated in this utube video.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc
A pen dissasembler is almost a must if you are contemplating making a lot of pens IMO.
also getting a few spare tubes is a good idea 8)
Are you going to put them in the Gallery for sale?
Best of luck, don't forget to show us all the pictures :lol: :lol:

John. B

Thanks for the link John 8)

John. B":3v8ivjao said:
Are you going to put them in the Gallery for sale?

I took the walnut one in a presentation box(one of the velvet ones with gold trim) to show him and he reckons he'll sell them on the counter top in the boxes no problem and asked for 6 more. I told him £12 each and he said fine, think I can make one for just less than a fiver in box.

JT

johnny.t.":22hds8dz said:
I took the walnut one in a presentation box(one of the velvet ones with gold trim) to show him and he reckons he'll sell them on the counter top in the boxes no problem and asked for 6 more. I told him £12 each and he said fine, think I can make one for just less than a fiver in box.

JT

nicely priced too JT, at that price they will sell and it helps to pay for the hobby, rather than be greedy and expect more and be stuck with them.

edited:
just as an aside JT, i don't know if you are allergic to any woods but i have just turned a cocobola keyring and now my two arm joints itch like mad, so does top of my chest, under my neck , around my nose and my left eye is slightly swollen, so be aware.

Very nice - the walnut one was my personal favourite,so excellent choice for the gallery :wink:

Andrew

Cheers guys I've got 10 kits on the way for more!

stevebuk":2p0ehs1v said:
just as an aside JT, i don't know if you are allergic to any woods but i have just turned a cocobola keyring and now my two arm joints itch like mad, so does top of my chest, under my neck , around my nose and my left eye is slightly swollen, so be aware.

Sounds nasty Steve :shock: Hope you fell better now mate. Hope you had a handy antihistemine, I've not had a reaction to wood but I'm really allergic to grass/grain pollen so I know how it feels.

JT

Back