I've been in love with Dolly Parton my whole life.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
When I was about 6 my family was camping in Brittany, my mum and dad passed us off onto a Dutch couple for a night while they had a night off. This was late 70s/early 80s so all quite chill lol. This Dutch couple had a VDub camper (mindblowing) but more than that they had a Dolly Parton cassette. Now this rattled my brain because my Dad had the only Dolly Parton cassette tape. After I voiced my concerns Dutch lady allayed my fears no doubt by telling me she had borrowed the only Dolly Album available in the world from my Dad. This calmed my sh*t somewhat.

Years passed but my love for Dolly has never abated.

This lady is just amazing.
She was also involved in research to fight the covid.
What a woman. Just saying.

Takes a lot of money to look this cheap. :)

“Life is just a series of peaks and troughs, and you don't whether you're in a trough until you're climbing out, or on a peak until you're coming down. And that's it, you know, you never know what's round the corner. But it's all good. "If you want the rainbow you've got to put up with the rain". Do you know which "philosopher" said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of t1ts.”

― David Brent

me tooooooooo......great lady.....
after Cher....lol...

keep thinking must put a memory stick together with all the great ladies on it for the w/shop....
Oh so many.....

on the subject of Cher, my ex used to hate her saying she's had ribs removed etc etc...real nasty like......
my reply was she didn't need em anyway.......hahaha...

not a massive fan as such but she does have some of the best one liners ever.

interviewer: How long does it take to do your hair in the morning?
Dolly : Sorry darlin, I have no idea, I'm never there.

She has written some amazing lyrics. I'm not a great fan of her style of singing, but admire her hugely. She is a very wise, well grounded person with a great sense of humour. I don't know why she felt the need to do so may things to her body? She surely didn't need to do it to keep her fans?

My daughter works in the music industry and goes to gazillions of gigs and festivals, but she still says the single best thing she's ever seen live was Dolly singing Jolene at Glasto, with nearly a quarter of a million people singing along to the chorus.

Kate Bush and Chrissy Hynde for me I'm afraid, thought I would bring a couple of decent female musicians to the conversation :cool:

It appears this thread has proved one thing.
Everyone loves Dolly.
So be quiet Garno. ;)

One of my favourite musician is a drummer from Japan, she does cover versions. I don't normally like that sort of thing, especially with kids, but for Yoyoka I make an exception. She is an exceptionally talented wee girl Yoyoka Stone Cold Crazy cover

One of my favourite musician is a drummer from Japan, she does cover versions. I don't normally like that sort of thing, especially with kids, but for Yoyoka I make an exception. She is an exceptionally talented wee girl Yoyoka Stone Cold Crazy cover
Haha!! Absolutely brilliant! And a great taste in music! More my style than DP. +1 for Chrissie Hind.

Wonderful, such talent at such a young age and she obviously really enjoys it. A name to watch out for.
Mind you the Japanese have always had a thing for big drums haven’t they,

DP is one smart and very talented lady. Watched a documentary about her several years ago which kicked off an interest in Bluegrass.

😆 Hillbilly Riverdance
Well yes I suppose, and yes I also did think at the time that it was a lot like Irish dancing where they don’t touch each other, heaven forbid! But it was very enjoyable and charming, it harked back to a simpler time, probably a very small rural community up in the blue Ridge Mountains/ Appellations. Thing was I didn’t see anybody with some moonshine in a paper bag! And please don’t mention Deliverance. Ian

The roots of Bluegrass are English/Irish/Scottish folk music so there is a very close link.
It was a tough life so you can see how uplifting the music and dancing can be.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? is an entertaining Coen brothers film with a Bluegrass soundtrack.

If she fell on her face the make-up would cushion the fall. You might think I don't like her, but not so. Sher can really sing!

John

Back