ITA (Initial Teaching Alphabet). Anyone else a victim?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
I was taught this system in my early school years. I have no recollection of it now, but unearthed a letter sent to me whilst in hospital for tonsil removal aged about 7 (1966). I can't for the life of me understand why they would do this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial_Teaching_Alphabet
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1523708.stm
ITA letterresized.jpg

Attachments

• ITA letterresized.jpg
    ITA letterresized.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,647
I learned ITA at school.

Having moved to Wales as an adult, I now realised I was bilingual in my early years.

I always thought it was a regional thing, but now I see you were oop North (or ωp north)

I gather that a lot of people thought this succesful at the time, and in fairness it probably was, in speeding up the reading/writing process for younger children, but little or no account was taken of the time it them took to then 'transfer' them over to the mainstream system following that. I know people now that still have an issure with spelling correctly 50 years later. Fortunately my school was one of the ones that stood firm at the time and continued with the standard system to no detriment to myself or others at the time.

My former Boss also considered himself a victim of this system, he's 50 ish now. About a decade ago it was mentioned on the radio at work about making a comeback and he had young kids at the time, his reaction to that news was VERY memorable, no flipping way my kids are learning that. I've cleaned it up and he rarely swore.

Luckily I wasn't, but a workmate of mine felt that the ITA ruined his chances, as he was unable to be deprogrammed.
He was however exceptionally capable, but had been left unable to write with confidence.
I'm surprised no one has picked this up for a class action.

Like things in other subjects, someone has come with the idea they should be tested. Great, they'll be tested at eleven. No mention of their being taught at six or seven - they'll probably be expected to pick them up by some sort of osmosis. We weren't allowed out of infant school without our knowing them.

Education is becoming ever more focused on targets......or should I say this country is becoming more focused on targets..... (police, NHS etc).

Last year I had to book a small procedure at my local doctors surgery, when I booked this, the receptionist opened up a notebook with pages and pages of names and wrote mine as the last entry. She explained: 'we put your name in here first and then add it to the list for your procedure, once the waiting time is below the national target for waiting times'............

Ive jot heard of the initial teaching alphabet before, what a crazy idea! Being left handed Im thankful I didnt live in the age when being left handed was considered wrong and thus forced to be right handed.

Looks like an early version of Texting. If the traditional way of learning spelling is considered sub-standard, and I can't think why, it would make more sense to actually use Text spelling as that is already in wide usage and has developed practically rather than something thought up by committee.
I'm surprised to see this from the 60's, I started school in the 70's and only had one set of spelling to learn. We did however learn decimal from age 5 so was a bit disadvantaged when full metrication petered out.
I do wonder how much modern teaching methods like this contribute to dyslexia.
There is a similar issue with Math, we made the error of sending my daughter to a school that taught basic math by introducing many different methods of doing basic calculations, I seem to recall there were at least four ways to do long division. The theory being that different kids would find one method that worked for them. They never really explained this though, and didn't explain how these methods worked or even that the they all produced the same results. This just resulted in confusion from which my daughter never really seemed to recover, her math is now completely erratic, sometimes she flies though it, other times she would fail a times table test.

I missed it my younger sister did it, I got new maths and a teacher who didn't believe in it so I did nothing for two years in maths.
I am dyslexic so spelling and times tables are impossible for me.

Pete

I am, fortunately, too old to have been inflicted.

When I was at school if you were in detention, you were supplied with a page of commonly mispelt words which you had to copy over and over.
45 years later people often remark about how good I am at spelling, it was simply down to me being so badly behaved back then. :twisted:

Looks very complicated, glad I never encountered it, as it was I never really mastered standard English/spelling. So a system such as that would have been a complete disaster. :?

We now have spell check, so no worries. :D

Take care.

Chris.

I'm lucky I left school before this insane system was implemented. No wonder there are so many "uneducated" posts across so many forums.

Wildman":1t0txx09 said:
I'm lucky I left school before this insane system was implemented. No wonder there are so many "uneducated" posts across so many forums.

wot?

Aye just bort a keebord from Aldy that haz an inbilt spelcheker inkluded! It did say on the bocks that it isnt widly testd but i hav fond it awsum. Looks lik it works gust grat. Now I hav turned of spelcheker and it dos it al for me. Im glad i dont hav to wory about spelchek anymore and now i gust tipe fonetikaly.
Karnt rekomend one enuff. U gys shuld try it. Only drawbak iz it karnt translat on mi skreen. It only tranzlates what i tipe wen I send the mesage to the website so I see what I rite but u gys sea perfekt gramar. Wish I baught won yeers ago.
Awsom. And only thre pownd twente sicks. Bargin.

Only the English language could spell Phonetically with a Ph and no sense of irony. While it's important how you write, it's far more important what you write.

Bm101":30tb5rs8 said:
Aye just bort a keebord from Aldy that haz an inbilt spelcheker inkluded! It did say on the bocks that it isnt widly testd but i hav fond it awsum. Looks lik it works gust grat. Now I hav turned of spelcheker and it dos it al for me. Im glad i dont hav to wory about spelchek anymore and now i gust tipe fonetikaly.
Karnt rekomend one enuff. U gys shuld try it. Only drawbak iz it karnt translat on mi skreen. It only tranzlates what i tipe wen I send the mesage to the website so I see what I rite but u gys sea perfekt gramar. Wish I baught won yeers ago.
Awsom. And only thre pownd twente sicks. Bargin.

Only the English language could spell Phonetically with a Ph and no sense of irony. While it's important how you write, it's far more important what you write.

Haha, nais won!

ITA; what a crazy idea!

When you have such a spelling system that is so irregular, you have to learn it word by word. Of course there's some patterns, it's not completely random, eg:
ball, baby, bell, bat.
anyone can see and hear that the letter "b" corresponds with a "bee" sound and so on.

If someone asks me to spell out a longish common word, I find it really difficult. I have to write it out in my mind so I see each letter or actually write it down on a piece of paper. I need to look at the whole word.

Just goes to show there's multiple types of intelligence John.
Personally I think we've been led to believe that if you're scholastically bright, it's a sign of some inbuilt higher intelligence. It baffles me that even now we don't recognise general intelligence and emotional maturity and regard it as a at least equivalent in competency. How many generations of kids have we failed because they displayed signs (however minor) of of scaled dyslexia. Or they were good with different parts of the brain? Same kids were extremely proficient in other areas yet still labeled as a bit 'slow'. Faculty for language skills is only one aspect of intelligence yet because of school testing criteria forced on them by ever increasing Government target driven learning schools are ever increasingly focusing on exam results. My boy is five. We do spelling and maths homework with him mostly every night. How sad is that? At Five! Breaks my heart sometimes to be honest. He's bright (course he is! Skips a generation!), but I wonder what effect it will have on him long term. I can't think it's healthy to have 5 year olds so target driven. When I was 5 I just wanted to build dens and smash my toys up.
It's not right. It's not the intelligence but how we judge it that's skewed.

*takes a breath... sorry if I strayed off topic a bit it just winds me up.

Regards
Chris

My cousin retired as an infant school headmistress 18 years ago and she maintained that probably 90% of children said to be dyslexic weren't - they were either bone idle (rarely) or extremely badly taught (very often) - an actual disability was rare. She ran what was the best infant school in the district.
(I'll get my head back below the parapet, now :) )

Latest posts

Back