Is your (circular) saw blade sharp?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
The following is somewhat embarrassing, but I hope it's of use to some...

Last weekend I used my Festool TS55 with the 48 tooth blade to cut some really thin steel - I know what you're thinking, but it was the only blade I had :roll: ... I'd used a slow speed, but it still managed to blunt the blade somewhat. :oops: :oops:

This weekend it struggled to cut some kitchen worktop on saturday morning using the same blade - I was really having to push the saw hard to get it through the worktop. :oops: :oops:
So I put in a new blade and made some more cuts and it went like a hot knife through butter :):)

So, if your saw (and probably most other tools) isn't working as well as you think it should, check the blade is really really sharp.

Yours in embarrasment,

Pete :oops:

PS anyone recommend a saw blade sharpener near Cambridge/Royston?

Pete,

I can tell you one to avoid - Bradnams at Haverhill. My 12" Hammer blade cuts like hot butter through a knife since it went there, and they f****d up the tip geometry. :evil:

Let me know if you find anyone good.

I just recently sent my 48 tooth festool blade to dragon saws for sharpening, the saw was turned around in a couple of days and it's as good as new. Before hand I was getting a lot of burning and sticking in the cut, now it cuts like it did when it was brand new.

The sharpening job by Dragon Saws is excellent, and their customer service is definitly up there with the best i've received. I can 100% recommend their services.

Yeah and I got a pair of resharpened Planer/thicknesser blades back from Dragon saws, and they are so sharp you could use them has cut throat razors :)

Cost £8.70 plus postage.

ByronBlack":3s2pzqgy said:
I just recently sent my 48 tooth festool blade to dragon saws for sharpening, the saw was turned around in a couple of days and it's as good as new. Before hand I was getting a lot of burning and sticking in the cut, now it cuts like it did when it was brand new.

The sharpening job by Dragon Saws is excellent, and their customer service is definitly up there with the best i've received. I can 100% recommend their services.

Inetresting Byron - their bandsaw blades are certianly very good. How much did they charge including carriage etc.?

Tony":2c267sqp said:
Inetresting Byron - their bandsaw blades are certianly very good. How much did they charge including carriage etc.?

Tony

Price depends on amount of teeth in the blade and weight of the blade for return postage but a 48tooth Festool blade works out around £10.00 plus return postage.

Ian

How much? I dropped my 250mm double sided planer blades off at Engineering Agencies in Dunfermline. I think they use the Saw Centre. They sent them off on Tuesday, back for Thursday, plenty sharp enough and total cost £1.50 plus vat. This is the main reason I've never bought the tormek jig.

At £1.50, they'd have to unpack the blade, sharpen it and repack it, take your money and get onto the next customer in about a minute to make a living. :shock:

Well that's what they charged. Even turned up carefully wrapped in brown paper and taped at the ends.

£1.50?????
It's very easy to put the decimal point in the wrong place on a keyboard....
Just make sure the next ones don't cost £150.00 if they remember you :lol:

Cambourne pete, Yep the same organisation.
Dealt with them now for around 15 months and no problems.
They gave me 5 blades to do a review on last year and the first one died this week.

Latest posts

Back