Is this worthy of a Gloat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the beading cutters I use a round file (like a small chainsaw file or similar), then I hone more or less a secondary bevel with an oil slipstone, and I polish off with hard maple and Flexcut honing compound (cuts a lot faster than the LV green stuff). I sharpen the flat part of the profile on oilstones then sinish off with a few strokes on leather and compound. It really depends on what you (don't) have, almost anything from sandpaper to files will do the job.
Nice score BTW. Your neighbor is very generous, It's surprising what some people will give you when they find out you actually care about and use hand tools. I had a neighbor give me a brace and a set of auger bits that belonged to his grandfather. I was quite touched.

Thanks Guys for the advice going to have a go tomorrow

Paul, thank you for the kind offer would very much appreciate some photos :)

Andy

andys wood shed":1b11myx5 said:

Sorry Andy, didn't get it done today (been a bit busy making something for the Mother-in-Law :roll: ). Will post some tomorrow.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

andys wood shed":3ka3mo3c said:

Hi Andy,

Here are some photos as promised.

I use a bi-metalic cutter to cut out the MDF wheels, because I happened to have some, but you could use a router with a small circle-cutting jig

ea5b8700.jpg

I open up the centre hole and mount the wheel on an arbour

ea5b873a.jpg

I mount this in an old electric drill and shape the wheel using a coarse rasp and with the drill running. I find that this doesn't take long and it's quite easy to achieve an appropriate shape. I then put polishing compound on the wheel and hone the shaped part of the bevel freehand

ea5b8788.jpg

I hone with the drill running at a slow speed and running away from me so that the blade doesn't dig into the wheel.

The polishing compound comes in blocks of different colours denoting the coarseness of the compound. Black is the most coarse and maroon the finest, known as jewellers rouge. So far I have used the black compound on the wheels and found that that will quickly remove grinding marks and leave a mirror-like finish.

ea5b8761.jpg

I hone the flat parts of the blades on my diamond stones as normal and finish off with jewellers rouge on a leather strop

ea5b86d2.jpg

I've tried other things like slip stones and abrasive paper wrapped around dowelling, but so far I've found I get the best results with MDF wheels.

Hope this is of some help.

Paul

Paul,

Thank you for taking the time in showing me, and others I'm sure, your method.

I can't think of any questions as your photos and description explain it fully :D
I will give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Much appreciated

Andy

Hi Martin,

I think I got mine from Buck & Ryan in Guildford. I've thrown the packaging away but I think some were Wolfcraft and some were Black & Decker. They come in different diameters and lengths and are usually sold to fit felt and cloth wheels. If you want to make up thicker wheels using, say, 18mm MDF you will probably find they are not long enough. In these cases simply counter-bore the hole so that it's inset a bit. Most tool shops should have them.

Hope that helps.

Paul

How about using a full threaded coach bolt, two nuts to lock the mdf disc and hold in the drill chuck on the remaining threaded portion.

Andy

Yes, that would probably work as you won't be putting much pressure on it when honing - you could also add two large washers.

Paul

Did, Andy, "did". And reading every post doesn't mean you read every bit of every post. 8-[ :lol: Anyway I figure it's worth drawing attention to if it stops someone having a Nasty Moment.

The drawback to this method is that, while it's quick, it's also quick. i.e. You can potentially make yourself a heap of trouble that much faster too. So I'm kinda on the fence about it - I think beading cutters aren't necessarily the ideal place to start a honing wheel education so maybe try something a little easier to fix first? Just a suggestion of the DAMH... variety. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Back