Is this oak?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Doing a timber deal some years ago I picked up a scrap of 8x2 (300mm long) and bunged it on my wood purchase as a freebie.

Cut it to these three lengths yesterday and prepared on the planer, it appears to be oak but not the usual colour I expected, do you agree?

14w.jpg

Attachments

• 14w.jpg
    14w.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 256
Hi Devonwoody

Iroko? is the sawdust yellow?

Pete

I have some of that too. Very dense and very hard. Despite much searching I've really identified it for sure. I just put it down to one of the many varieties of tropical hardwood.

A suggestion. Put some of the saw dust into a small pot add some water. If it water/sawdust turns blackish more likely to be oak because of the tanning properties in oak.

I agree with the previous replies- Iroko - you can see where you have planed the initial surface smooth it is darker towards the edges where the light/exposure has darkened it. I bet if you saw up into boards you will get bright orange/yellow shavings which would confirm this.
Initially slightly worrying if you like the dark look, however the boards will darken quite quickly :)
Ed

Isn't it amazing how much one can sense from the photo of a piece of wood. I'd say it's exotic and probably iroko, but ask me how to clarify that and I'd be stumped. You can feel it to be so!!!

Nick

Hilda Baker has smaller........................................................ grain :shock:

I've worked with Iroko quite a lot, and this certainly looks like it.
It's a very oily wood, and when planed, has a "greasy" feel to the surface.
It also has a very distinctive smell when sawing. In the green, sawyers refer to Iroko as "Dog s##t wood".
It can contain calcium deposits, which show up as small white flecks, in the grain, which will happily take the edge of your tools, or a chunk out of your planer cutters.
It is also a well known sensitiser, and can cause asthma attacks, and allergies to wood in general.
Regards,
Neil

As. In previous post , sand it and take a whiff of the wood dust that the sanding produces.....

Yes it's iroko :)

if your prone to allergies, like hay fever, I don't think its a good idea to sniff the sanding dust !

personally, John, if the sanding of other timbers is starting to cause you some issues, i would give this piece a miss completely.

Back