Is table woble stopping me getting a Cylinder?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alie Barnes

Established Member
Reaction score
When ever i rough out a piece of work i try to find my centres as best as i can and generally i get there.
However my bench that i got with the lathe is a hand made one and its not that substantial. There is some wobble on it just from the spinning action of the wood on the lathe but not very much. when ever i think i have a cylinder roughed out i can run the tool along the piece of wood and itll run smooth then lfurther on the piece ill get judder from the tool. The wood isnt even that long. ims tarting to think that its the wobble on the table that is stopping me from creating a good cylinder?

Does this sound possible or is there some other reason?

Im considering building a proper Lathe bench and screweing it to the floor.

I presume you are turning a spindle as you say it is not long, what tool are you using?

If it is a spindle gouge or roughing gouge you may be getting tool 'bounce' due to the differing density/hardness of the wood as you pass over the change in grain direction on each revolution.

Try using a scraper lightly presented to the piece (below centre on your tool rest) and see if you then have a cylinder, the finish may not be great but it should prove a point.

Alie.
Have you been turning long,or are you a beginner.
First of all i would get the bench sorted,make it as solid as possible,is it floor standing or bench mounted.
Then bolt the lathe down onto the bench.Make sure it's level.
If the wood isn't centralised this will give wobble to start with.
What sort of timber are you using,what speed are you running at to start,what tools have you got,are they sharp.More info please.
Paul.J.

Latest posts

Back