Is anyone running Sketchup on Linux ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I know we have a few linux people about. Is anyone running sketchup? It seems the only way to do it is through Wine. My quick research tells me it's a little buggy. I wonder if anyone can give me a real life report?

Reason being, I have a new laptop (work issue) and it's terrible. I was all excited at getting the new model, turns out the new model is 200 times worse than the old one. So I thought I'd try running a very slim linux distro to speed it up and make it more stable. The 2 main things I use the laptop for is internet browsing and sketchup.

TIA

Tom, I think by running Wine you would lose more than you gain from running Linux. Another thing to bear in mind - Google's site says that sketchup won't run on Win2k as the graphics are not up to it, so I'm not sure that Wine would be up to it either.

Dave

Put it this way Dan, I'd better not leave one of my laptops in a Taxi. ;)

Thanks Dave. I have gone off the idea, Linux annoyed me last time I tried it. If I was spending my own money, I think I'd go for a MAC (I can't quite believe I said that). I had a word in my boss's shell-like today and hopefully I can get rid of this POS.

Dave S":2qvz8cyo said:
Tom, I think by running Wine you would lose more than you gain from running Linux. Another thing to bear in mind - Google's site says that sketchup won't run on Win2k as the graphics are not up to it, so I'm not sure that Wine would be up to it either.

Dave

Sketchup 7 will probably not run on wine directly. The bit about w2k seems alot of b***s. There is little to none difference between w2k and XP on the graphics. Most programs that state being incompatible run fine but only the installeer blocks the install, is missing some dll that just has to be installed, a missing function that can be done without easily (programmer laziness) and often can be provided installing a dll. still have to look into it on getting it up and running as win2k is the latest version of windows that is usable for me.

I use Sketchup 6 on Linux - no problem! Just make sure you use the latest wine version.

I use Ubuntu 8.10 in my case.

wizer":31qxvrth said:
If I was spending my own money, I think I'd go for a MAC (I can't quite believe I said that).
:shock: :shock: Nor can I - go wash your mouth out!!!!

Dave :lol:

I know. It comes from the need to upgrade but really not wanting to go to Vista (which would cripple this 'Vista Ready' laptop)

Back