Is A 550-600mm Try Square Available?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollys13

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a precision 550-600mm Try Square, with accuracy to a standard, ideally, not a silly price?
Cheers.

I use a drawing board T square for accurate marking out on sheet material or my roofers square. I always double check off the opposite edge where possible.

Colin

I always double check off the opposite edge where possible.

And by doing so, you stand a good chance of decreasing the accuracy of your project.

By what means do you verify that the opposite edge is parallel to the first edge?

A reference edge is what it says, an edge you use for reference. A majority verdict or a second opinion are not the correct concepts to employ here.

I have a woodpecker 600mm t shaped one, it was expensive but very useful, I have seen engineers squares that big but even more expensive.
I suggest getting a 600mm ruler for a normal combination square head. I know Starrett and Axminster do them, probably cheapest way to get what you need.

Ollie

Just get a standard pressed steel rafter square and run a slot in a piece of walnut to accept it. Use some epoxy sparingly.

Oh, just realized I do actually have a Magnusson 600 x 400mm framing square. I bought it some while back thinking it would be handy to have. That said, how do I check that it is indeed straight and square?
Thank everyone who replied.

And by doing so, you stand a good chance of decreasing the accuracy of your project.

By what means do you verify that the opposite edge is parallel to the first edge?

A reference edge is what it says, an edge you use for reference. A majority verdict or a second opinion are not the correct concepts to employ here.
You are spot on and that is why I double check. If something is out of true it will show up immediately so I make sure I'll only work off my face edge.

Colin

The easy check is to draw or knife a line with your square, flip it 180 degrees like turning the page of a book and mark on the same line. If there is significant error you'll see it.

If you are engineering, you'll be using dial gauges etc so I assume not that degree of precison.

A 12" empire true blue rafter square is pretty good at modest money but smaller than you specified.

If you have / have access to a sliding table saw with a good mitre gauge, you could machine up a big square from thick plastic or high pressure laminate like trespa that will be stable. Taking some time and sneaking up on the measurement, it's entirely possible to cut a square that is as accurate as you need for woodwork / layout / clamping up without spending a fortune for a commercial one.

Be a good test of marking out skills to lay out a 3-4-5 triangle and cut it with a tracksaw
Or use a MFT and well fitting dogs and cut one with that to whatever size you want.

Latest posts

Back