Iron bevel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengrass1

Reaction score
Have old wood rabbit plane bought in France at a brocant and giving it a clean up.
What's correct bevel angle and can a secondary angle be added . I can sharpen to 25° on my "Worksharp 2000" air cooled grinder, a great machine but 3000 is greater as angle can be changed and it does plane blades.. But told less sharpening time adding 30° secondary bevel for which I will be using Wet&Dry auto paper 400- 1000 gauge and a guide to form a thin (1mm) 30° supersharp cutting edge and nice polished blade.

When doing this with my chisels burs appear on 400-600 but not on 800-1000 grit,
Does that indicate it's as sharp as I will get them?
Thanks in advance

Sounds like you've got it spot on. That's what most people here would advocate for plane blades (in terms of angles..........how you get to those angles can lead to heated discussions). Personally I don't put a micro-bevel on a plane iron, instead honing the whole bevel each time. Frankly, if the sharpening regime works for you, and the plane works for you, then you've got it right.......and there are many different ways of skinning this particular cat.

Latest posts

Back