Inverter for variable speed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard J

Established Member
Reaction score
I would just like to thank everyone who commented on the variable speed post I put on here a while ago.
I now own an Inverter kit from Haydock converters. Cost me £420 plus vat. But it has transformed my viceroy lathe.
My lathe seems smoother, quieter, and has far more grunt than before.
So Rob.....yep you were correct all along. (But I still do like my viceroy very much).variable speed is a big advantage.
Point to remember. Anyone doing this, make sure you remember which pulley you are using.......... The big pulley equals lightspeed plus a bit with a few warps chucked in for good measure.
Be careful!!
No finger nipping, just twiddle that knob.
Many thanks again

My experience of getting a Haydock kit sounds the same as yours - transformative!

I have a nova 1624 and the kit has been on my shopping list for a long while, but i can't justify it with the amount of lathe time I'm getting at the moment

Woodmonkey, when you do decide to go for a Haydock upgrade, you will wonder why you delayed. The 1624 is so different with this new power train, it's realy a totally different machine. It's not cheap, £550 ish but the difference is quite astonishing. You will need to take off your Nova motor complete with the mounting plate and pulley block. The Haydock guys will re drill the mounting plate to suit the new standard motor supplied, (the nova motor is a non standard size), and will also re-bore your 8 speed pulley block to suit the standard motor supplied. I rarely change pulley position, but should I need to I can use low or very low ranges with high torque, or super fast ......wish I'd put my helmet/visor on type speeds. The new supplied motor is smoother, quieter, and more torquey than the Nova motor. If you can find the funds, you won't regret it.

Back