Internet Explorer 7 - breath of fresh air ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
waterhead37":3nvmn14v said:
Windows will fire up extremely quickly - as long as you run it on a Mac!

Such problems are easily solved. My computer (not a Mac *spits* :twisted: ) boots up in seconds, and runs very fast too. The secret lies in the system tray. Most people have upward of 10 programs running in the system tray (and just because there is no icon, it can still be there), I saw one computer with over 30 progs down there! This plays havoc with system resources. The easiest way to speed up your computer is to eliminate everything that runs there. Thinking irrelevant stuff like real player, itunes etc. You don't really need it running all the time, how hard is it to go to the start menu when you want to use it? The exeption being Virus software (if you like that sort of thing, pesonally I hate, if you know what your doing, there really is no need for it).

There are two ways to get rid, you can go round the options menus of each program and attempt to disable it form running in the background, or you can go to Start - Run and type in "msconfig". Then go to the 'startup' tab, which lists everything which is scheduled to load on boot-up, all with a nice check-box to stop it! :D (Just make sure you don't actually turn off the system tray itself!)

The only icon I have down there is the volume control.

On a different note, if you don't like windows, and you don't want to waste double the nessesary amount of money to buy a fashion statement with a bit of fruit on it, then you need Linux! I have it on dual boot with XP. It is a little more complicated than windows, especially when it comes to installing software. And there is the added complication that there are over a hundred types (or distributions). Redhat or SUSE are good all round packages for anyone wanting to dip their feet. But the best thing about linux (apart form total stability) is that its 100% free, and all the software is 100% free. I use it for work, I regularly have simulations and data analasis stuff running for upto 48 hours at a time, and linux is the only way to do it (windows isn't reliable enough, and apple doenst even come close to having the software).

Just a thought...

Tarkin":3co85q8w said:
The secret lies in the system tray.
I know...I run the minimum that I feel comfortable with..Zone Alarm, AVG anti-virus and Webroot Spyware...not much else.

and you don't want to waste double the nessesary amount of money to buy a fashion statement with a bit of fruit on it,
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :wink:

then you need Linux!
Life's too short to learn/waste time on yet another operating system. I've still got an unused, uninstalled copy of SUSE sitting there gathering dust ! :lol:

As soon as Chris can confirm whether Parallels runs Cutlist or not then my PCs are toast :D

Roger,
I haven't used Cutllist in earnest under Parallels - had no jobs for it since I got the Mac. However, in response to your question, I have just downloaded Cutlist Plus and tried it under Parallels by entering a few parts etc. It seems to work perfectly as I had fully expected. I haven't found anything yet that won't run.

If you feel like following Tarkin's advice, then you can just as easily create a virtual machine under Parallels for Linux - you can have any number of such VMs too. Also if you get a fatal crash of your VM for whatever reason (I have had none) then the VM is just a simple file, backed up like any other. No need for a disk image and restore palaver - just copy it over and hey presto, you have your XP or Linux installation running again.

I thought IE 7 was a real alternative to Fiefox for tabbed browsing but I have found it blocks loads of streaming content and I couldn't buy something over the web as it would not allow me to follow the link to set up an account witha very alrge and reputable company! Microsoft just have no idea how to implement security meacures!!!

Buggy

Tarkin":w5j2s6sj said:
On a different note, if you don't like windows, and you don't want to waste double the nessesary amount of money to buy a fashion statement with a bit of fruit on it,

A popular misconception ? http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/features/macproprice/index.php

In this article, a comparatively featured Dell is about $1000 (25%) more expensive than a comparable MacPro.

Tarkin":1nvncjce said:
On a different note, if you don't like windows, and you don't want to waste double the nessesary amount of money to buy a fashion statement with a bit of fruit on it, then you need Linux! .

As an alternative to SUSE or Redhat, You might like to look at Ubuntu. No 1 on distrowatch for quite some time now. I have a dual drive dual boot machine here running XP on one drive and Ubuntu on the other, with Ubuntu as the boot default. The installation was simplicity itself (select option 1 - install) and it boots up in seconds. All the usual linux advantages with none of the downsides, oh yes it runs on a mac as well so you can turn the expensive designer option into a real computer :whistle: You have nothing to lose by downloading and trying it out you can run it as a live system if you want to test it without installing.

Mike

mr":12ovhwes said:
so you can turn the expensive designer option into a real computer :whistle:
Give over, Mike; you don't expect a Gucci bag to act as a tool bag, do ya? :p :lol:

Cheers, Happy Mac Owner and Not-Very-Dedicated Follower of Fashion :lol:

A bag is a bag is a bag surely ;) Shouldn't matter what you puts in them. :)

I've found an Issue. It lost all my 'login' info. So for instance I din't get logged in to UKW automatically - no orange icons meant I spent ages wondering why no one had been posting. Other sites were affected including my bank, so I spent a long while searching my filing cabinet for the letter with my magic numers on it. :evil:

Les - I've had no problems - I didn't have any problems with the Beta either. The released version just seems a little quicker.
It is a restart-your-PC download though.
Nick - don't think I had that problem?
Cheers
Gidon

I installed the pre-final release version and lost all my Outlook settings and many MS Office features so had to do a restore. The help blog was full of compatibility, and many were with other MS products, I think I will wait for the first 20 updates or bug fixes before I try it again.

Although I will say I liked the interface and the product has many positive points. Just a typical MS release.

All my internet shortcuts now set the printer off. All my regular haunts do the same, this site, BBC, the bank, everything. It justs starts trying to print out the html document instead of surfing to it.

Nice interface, shame about th actual functionality. What the blazes do I do know?

Edit - I used the System Restore Point. That's one thing that MS got right!

Back