Installing full extension slides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
As part of my current chest of drawers project, I wanted to know if there is an easy and accurate way to install the drawer full extension runners on the inside of the carcasse and the side of the drawers.

My concern is to get the spacing between the dawers spot on, considering it's about 2 or 3mm and distribute the drawers accross the height.

See here for context of the project.

You can get a reliable layout by cutting a piece of 6 mm MDF to the exact configuration of your cabinet interior. Draw the draw boxes on the MDF full size and set out where all the slides go. Bore through the MDF with 2 mm drill bits where the screws have to go into the carcase side.

You've created a rod and all you do is lay it on the inside face of each side of the carcase and drill through the pre-bored holes to set the position of your slides.

Setting the position of the slides on the drawer box is just a case of picking up your inked in lines off the MDF. Slainte.

The full extension slides I bought from Screwfix recently have slots as well as round screw holes to let you fine-tune your alignment. You probably get about 2 - 3 mm of adjustment up and down and front to back. Once you are satisfied you just need to drive screws through the regular holes.

CYC":1zl8si7f said:
Hi all,
As part of my current chest of drawers project, I wanted to know if there is an easy and accurate way to install the drawer full extension runners on the inside of the carcasse and the side of the drawers.

My concern is to get the spacing between the dawers spot on, considering it's about 2 or 3mm and distribute the drawers accross the height.

See here for context of the project.

Slides that fit to the side of the drawers are all 1/2" thick so the overall width of each drawer needs to be one inch less than the inside width of the carcass. :)

whilst the proper way is to use a rod, the quick and dirty way is to buy the
plastic spacers from someone like screwfix, and work with them.

you can apply the slides to the bottom outside of the drawer too, so you can space them above the bottom relatively easily. i too would suggest a
6mm spacer under the bottom of the lowest drawer. to ensure proper
running, you can close the space at front with a false front that is slightly
oversize.

if you look in many modern items the drawer sides are not as tall as the fronts, giving you slightly more freedom in placement.

as you go up each drawer should be slightly smaller top to bottom to
draw your attention away. if the are the same size, they look odd.

looks good though

paul :wink:

After reading the post over and over I think I finally get it, or picture it in my head. I'll give this rod a go.
Thanks very much.

ok to simplify even more. you need a spacer to set out the bottom
slide, and this should be almost as deep(front to back) as the unit. make sure it is flat and level. this will set the lower drawer.

now your next spacer would go on top of the lower drawer side, and also be flat and level, and then go up from there.

the only real problem is sorting the gap between all of the drawers.
depending upon what material you use for the drawer front, if you use false fronts/ i would guess in general at least 3-4mm.
as i said before the sides of the drawers do not have to be the same size as the separate fronts.

hope that makes it even more clear??

paul :wink:

Back