Inlay bandings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanh

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been asked to do a job and the client wondered about the possibility of using decorative bandings. I've never used these and was wondering if anyone here has any advice.

How easily can they be curved to apply to turnings? The diameter of the curve will be at least 13cm
Presumably I can just turn a channel wide enough to fit the banding, trim to fit and then glue in place.

I've seen them in the Craft Supplies catalogue but is there a better place to buy them?

Thanks

Duncan

Probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here but it's something I was thinling of a few weeks ago I found this if it's any help for ideas

using veneer

Most other references for inlaying seem to be for stone and resin. Perhaps the scroll guys will have some ideas as they seem to do it quite a bit

Pete

I've used the banding from CS with success and you should have no trouble fitting it to the diameter that you mention.
The method that I use is to apply the banding to the groove as you mentioned and then bind it with masking tape until the glue has set.
Fine sanding or wire wool afterwards and then polish with whatever finish you are using.
The effects are quite pleasing.
Hope all goes well.

Back