In need of of a Canon scanner stop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Advice needed for the purchase of a scanner. I need a scanner that will read 35ml and negatives 35 mil transparency slides will accept software to read documents and that will scan pictures etc to save as as jpeg files and so on. Any advice most welcome. Thanks in anticipation

John

Epson Perfection V39. Does all that except
"Accept software to read documents" ??/ I don't understand that.

I do use it to scan to PDF then OCR though?

What's the budget? what resolution do you need? Can you say a bit more about what you are trying to do?
Are you referring to optical character recognition (OCR)? (document reading) that can be stand alone software, basically you scan, produce an image then do OCR, All scanners will create JPG's. For scanning negatives/positives, you need a scanner which has a light source in the cover to backlight the film.

I use the Epson V700, which does:- 35mm strip film: 4 x 6 frames, 35mm mounted film: 12 frames, 120/220 Medium format (Max. 6 x 20cm): 2 frames, 5 x 4 inch: 2 frames, 203 x 254mm when using film area guide.

It is a superb machine. but quite expensive. I scanned everything I had from the last 50+years Photography, archival quality TIFF, also all the family pictures I could lay my hands on.
When Scanning negative strips, it treats each negative as a separate image automatically, I took months to scan all my old negatives, but all I had to do was swap over the negatives, 24 at a time, so became a background task. The software automatically numbers each image, so makes everything easy. When doing bulk scanning, I didn't apply corrections with the scanner, It just slows the process too much, also just uses a sensible resolution and colour depth.

You can get little standalone film/slide scanners and really inexpensive flatbed scanners, just depends on what you need to do.

For documents to OCR almost any scanner will do as separate software also available.
For slides and negatives IF you want a scanner that does everything then you’ll need to look fo4 one which has separate carriers for the negatives and slides.
However, if you’ve got a digital camera and tripod then buy a light box (or you can use an iPad screen turned to all white) and photograph the slides/negatives. Better quality and quicker than most scanners. If no tripod then a simple copy stand could be bought. Lots of info online about how to do this. Amateur Photographer did a whole article on options a while ago (if I can find link I’ll send)
I’ve got a Minolta slide scanner from many years ago and it does a good job but a white box is quicker!

Advice needed for the purchase of a scanner. I need a scanner that will read 35ml and negatives 35 mil transparency slides will accept software to read documents and that will scan pictures etc to save as as jpeg files and so on. Any advice most welcome. Thanks in anticipation

John
For digitising slides and negatives I'd recommend a different approach: if you have any sort of remotely decent digital camera then a set up with a back light (e.g. a light table) and a tripod for the camera means you can photograph your slides. Unless you're spending big money on a really good dedicated film scanner (which are pretty rare these days anyway) then (at least in my experience) you'll get better results using a camera. The capture time is obviously also effectively instant (vs a scanner).

For digitising slides and negatives I'd recommend a different approach: if you have any sort of remotely decent digital camera then a set up with a back light (e.g. a light table) and a tripod for the camera means you can photograph your slides. Unless you're spending big money on a really good dedicated film scanner (which are pretty rare these days anyway) then (at least in my experience) you'll get better results using a camera. The capture time is obviously also effectively instant (vs a scanner).
I agree that using a digital camera is easier than a flatbed scanner for slide copying. You can make a duplicator box with just a cardboard box but as this is a woodworking forum here is a wooden version How to Digitize Slides and Film Negatives With a DSLR

Latest posts

Back