Importing direct vs buying from UK importers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats ok! I just went and did it with the nuts. After the VAT I thought it best rather than suggest to SWMBO I now needed a tapping set before I could use the tools! :shock:

Anyway I got it almost perfectly square to the rail and the nuts have stayed tight.

Been using it all weekend and its brilliant, quality of cut is as good as everyone said. Best thing is the increase in productivity though! Very happy :D

Hi Matt

I did not mean that the nuts come off, its just that in my workshop I can some times drop things and lose them :roll: .

So for me I used tapped holes :)

A friend of mine wants help importing into the UK a SawStop table saw.

I've got a local (in the US) dealer who will work with us but we're still figuring out details such as if they'll have to charge sales tax, etc.

Any suggestions on the best way to ship it USPS versus a freight shipper?

- Michael

Michael,
You need to consider.
1) You should not need to pay local sales taxes in US if it is for export. You may need to reclaim them from US customs
2) You will need to pay a) dealer for machine, haulage from dealer to shipper, shipper for services, local UK VAT and customs duty
3) You will need to consider the type of crate in which you ship the saw as you will need one which is "proffed to resist salt air and spray" even if it is in a container
4) You might want to get a "consolidator" to organise the shipment instead of a shipper as tyhey will find space in someone elses container at fairly cheap rates.
5) Don't also forget that you should consider insurance also as there are many damaged and lost containers around the world.

6) May be you should contact SawStop and get them to send you one from the factory. They might give you a better deal and also help to ship.
regards
alan

Latest posts

Back