Ideas for wood type for large garden gates?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoops!

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Just got an order through for a large set of garden gates, 2.2m high by 3.2m wide. Usually I would use Sapele or Canadian red for this size, but she catagorically does not want reddish wood, not even if it were to be stained. Oak is just too costly ( and heavy,), She mentioned she liked Iroko, but I don't think that's a good choice for external stuff. She does not want pine.

Oh, the wood is to be exposed, not painted, and must be "A nice brown colour," _help, ideas anyone?

Decklan

Iroko is ideal for external use - think poor man's teak. Watch out for the dust - it can cause allergic reactions.

You might also consider chestnut.

I had a two fold nasty experience with Iroko,I made a patio table but I don't think that the batch had been dried sufficiently and it moved like twittery, even in the workshop- AND I had running eyes and a bad chest for blinking ages after. Combine the two and it wasn't a happy chappy who was leaving the workshop at the end of the day!!

But I will definitly reconsider, I do like the grain and colouring though.
Thanks

Decklan

Greenheart can be had cheaply reclaimed.Its virtually indestructable for outside use.Though it is very heavy and hard on handtools.

Decklan's right. In my brief experience working with iroko, it can move quite severely if it isn't dried and stored with enough care. The other way to look at this is to accept that timber will move when it's outdoors anyway...

Idigbo is another timber being used more often for external joinery now. Haven't used it personally, so I can't comment on the pro's and con's.

With all the birds in my garden all wood ends up the same colour!
So does my car! The Robins and Collared Doves don't even move till you're about to tread on them, and if the neighbours on the other post worry about noise they shopuld try my garden now that the Rooks are nesting!

Roy.

Hi Decklan, I am reliably informed by the lockeeper of Caversham lock in Reading, that lock gates are made from cedar for their durability in water, maybe this is your answer.
regards,
Rich.

I think I'm going to stick to my Guns and press for stained Sapele. I really can't afford to go over time with a job like this. I'm already on site and I'll be doing this in 'tool down-time', and I don't fancy poisoning myself again.
( I so want to work with Yew, but really don't want to risk it.)

As for the birds, great, all that noise and mess, what else could a nature lover want!!

Deckan.

One of our neighbours moved away, he couldn't stand the dawn chorus, and when a pair of Tawney Owls nested in my tall hedge, he was off!

Roy.

Well digit, I've got to say that unless your an early riser the noise can drive you nuts. I actually have my proper workshop in rural France, but I had the chance to make some proper, proper money over here for a short time, and I really miss the noise of Dawn chorus's. Here it has been replaced by the constant drone of traffic, siren's and plane's.Give me bird rubbish, mud and tractors anyday!! Really miss home!!

And as for the Cedar Rich, When I refered to Canadian red , I meant it as Canadian Red Cedar. A fine wood for outdoor applications though far from strong. It was used for shingling roofs and walls,in Kent predominantly. It is a reddish, light brown wood that after just a few years of exposure to the sun can 'silver' in a most attractive way. It's very straight grained and easy to work, though it does tend to splinter and break out when machining. Make sure your blades are sharp with this one as it really can splinter.

I had quite alot of experience of working with large amounts of this wood, the smell is lovely, but,although not as toxic as Iroko, yew or eucalyptus, its dust particles are very abrasive and can cause serious irratation of the nose and lungs. It also has a increased cancer factor, along with Oak and beech (and others.)

I had to use it as it is extremely light, and really good when weight is a limiting factor due to diminished integral strength of the supporting structure.

I'll shut up now,

I'll get me coat,

Decklan

Personally my family have no problems with our wildlife in residence. What makes me smile is the 'townies' who move here and start complaining about bird dropping on their cars, tractors on the roads, mud on the roads, smells from farms, etc etc.
I often wonder where they get their ideas from that makes them move here.

Roy.

Digit":1by6t93a said:
What makes me smile is the 'townies' who move here and start complaining about bird dropping on their cars, tractors on the roads, mud on the roads, smells from farms, etc etc.
I often wonder where they get their ideas from that makes them move here.
It would be a bold townie who complained about the tractors round here - they are BIG, and go like the clappers. A far cry from the grey Fergies of my childhood!

I was told european / french oak was pretty cheap.
But sapele, No that ain't durable, interior yea but not exterior, If your set up to manufacture and take on the job, Iroko should be no problem for you, and if she likes it, Then you will have a happy customer. Iroko will take the punishment.

Rich":1epqhog4 said:
Hi Decklan, I am reliably informed by the lockeeper of Caversham lock in Reading, that lock gates are made from cedar for their durability in water, maybe this is your answer.
regards,
Rich.
Greenheart is used for lock gates also.

Same here Dick. I had a tractor cut a corner at a 'T' junction and he passed clean over the bonnet of my car!

Roy.

If you're trying to avoid Iroko then I'd also have to advice you to stay clear of Greenheart, despite bob's suggestion, as the dust from that can be much, MUCH worse!

Greenheart's toxic isn't it? Which I guess is why it lasts so well. Theres a timberframe restaurant in Lincolns Inn, London that uses greenheart pads for the principal posts.
Can you use green oak and try a drawbore timberframing approach? Cheaper than the dried stuff.

Greenheart's one of the few timber's that can give you cardiovascular problems and, perhaps even kill you!! :?

I used to work for a company that used sapele for garden gates and we never had a complaint. They used to use iroko, but changed over due to price more than health & safety, I guess. I am talking about five-bar gates rather than your framed design, though.

Well after a write up like that Greenheart is definitly out of the picture. Interesting the different opinions given on this subject. This is where forums like this can be invaluable to learning more...( really didn't know that about Greenheart.)

Decklan

Back