I spend more time fixin' than makin'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouse

Established Member
Reaction score
So I went to the car boot sale AGAIN this morning. The past few weeks I seem to have spent more time renovating the old tools I've bought on a Saturday morning, than actually making stuff with them.

I blame Jimi. Possibly Alf too.

I've never been one for a 'slope'. In the past, just got what I needed. In fact I have taken a certain vicarious pleasure observing you lot helplessly buying infill smoothers, old-steel chisels and perfect pattern screwdrivers, unable to stop yourselves going into a feeding frenzy at the mere mention of that word... 'Norris'. Mmm...

Things have changed. I keep getting up at 5.30 at weekends and buying stuff just because it looks cool, or old, or sad and lonely, or all of the above. This week it was a strip down for a couple of old wrenches and a rusty Eclipse 77. I needed neither.

Today, a Millers Falls 120A breast drill from 1935-44 , another type 13 Stanley No.4 , with a basket case blade I have already launched, and a saw , no name I can see yet, but flat brass split nuts and an intact nubbin on the end, so may be quite old; the handle has an elegant repair on the bottom, a strip of metal shaped and bent to look like it was meant to be there.

006.jpg

But at least they were woodworking tools. Next came a siezed solid North Bros. 130A Yankee screwdriver, and a couple of slide rules???!!!

007.jpg

None of these tools do I need. They just called to me. I heard them, their soft pensioner voices floating on the morning breeze, one foot in the grave, yet with the possibility of a panacea, a font of youth, A HOLY GRAIL NO LESS, in the form of a fat bloke with a beard. I need my bumps feeling. And not in a good way. :roll: :mrgreen:

Nothing to worry about there, Scouse. We're all normal here!

I think sometimes we beat ourselves up too much on the 'is it useful' question. If you can enjoy old tools because of the way they are made, or because they talk to you about the past, there's nothing wrong with that.

People collect all sorts of things, with no hint of usefulness at all, and spend far more on it than we do on a few quids' worth of tools from a bootsale. With me, it's eBay and old wooden planes. I've got a bargain boxfull on the way - I'll let you all see what's in it soon.

Not my fault - I'd never encourage anyone to buy a breast drill. I have, um, three. Well, maybe four. Never use the darn things from one end of the year to the next. Pre-Stanley or non-Stanley "Yankee" screwdrivers though? Yeah, always go for those. Mainly just to cause Paul C to twitch that there are spiral ratcheting screwdrivers on the planet that he doesn't own... ;)

Saw looks interesting, Scouse. Would have picked that one up myself just on the basis of what I can see of its handle.

Scouse mate...you have a way to go before you get to my level of buying "stuff that will be useful"!!! :mrgreen:

Glad to see you join the club though...that Norris is on the horizon I can tell....one day you will post on here that you found this glorious infill or a nice Lancaster pattern plane....one day soon...I bet! 8)

Word of advice though mate...don't read my thread in the General section...I would hate to be accused of encouraging you! :mrgreen:

....and if ALF loves the saw...you are on to a winner mate! :wink:

Jim

Hmm. Brass reinforcement looks like it's an afterthought - but by no means without thought. Hand-Saw Makers of Britain doesn't have a Craven listed unfortunately. It screams some age to me though (and I do love an untouched split nut - ooo-er, missus) but I'm forever conscious of how much I don't know about saws.

Alf":367yucs0 said:
Not my fault - I'd never encourage anyone to buy a breast drill. I have, um, three. Well, maybe four. Never use the darn things from one end of the year to the next.

That's because you're a Lady and have things on your chest that get in the way!

(Copywright the Late Peter Tinniswood) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Alf":3kozw9ut said:
and I do love an untouched split nut - ooo-er, missus

Thanks for looking it up for me Alf; does the double entendre indicate that I should leave them untouched, or is it ok to carefully remove them and the handle so I can give the underside a bit of a polish? The handle is a bit loose round all three bolts, and I'm more of a user than a collector, although I would be sympathetic to the advancing years...

As ever any advice would be appreciated, I've already read the saw cleaning article on your website.

I would speak to Pedder if I were you Scouse about the fabrication and use of split nut drivers.

From what I understand...(correct me if I am wrong Pedder), you have to make sure that the driver fits perfectly either side of the centre and (like every screwdriver), fits down into the slot correctly.

I usually turn to tighten slightly first..forcefully but not too hard...and then back to undo.

I think the damage to the handle itself takes it away from the collector's category.

Just my 2p

Jim

I have a split-nut driver for the LNs, but it doesn't quite fit the nuts in the saw, so I will have to make one.

You are right it's no-where near collector quality, but I tend to attach more significance to age than is probably appropriate, and I suppose I just wanted some confirmation that it was ok to take it apart. I realise that sounds daft!

The repair is a funny thing; it is obviously very old and well done, for example the edges are square where they meet wood, but rounded over on the outside face, and it fits so well that, while I know it's a repair, it looks like it was meant to be there. It really adds character, which I never thought I would hear myself say about a repair. :?

Of course any input from Pedder would be appreciated!

El.

The thing with split nuts is that they were fitted and then filed flush by the maker - as soon as you do anything to them, it shows. So on a pristine saw, yeah, I'd definitely leave 'em alone. In this case it's a nice indication that the handle is original, but beyond that it's a judgement call. Given the stamped name on the plate and so forth, I'd be kinda tempted to leave things alone until I knew it was nothing "special" just in case. But then as I have plenty of saws available to restore first, this would not be difficult...

Poo. I keep walking over to it with a split nut driver and a menacing look, then lose my bottle at the last minute!

Thing is, the handle is loose, too loose to use the saw, and I would quite like to deal with any rust lurking under the handle, as has been the case with the last couple I got.

Just seems a shame to disturb something that may have been in place for a good long time. :?

Scouse":1r7k2hsk said:
Poo. I keep walking over to it with a split nut driver and a menacing look, then lose my bottle at the last minute!

Thing is, the handle is loose, too loose to use the saw, and I would quite like to deal with any rust lurking under the handle, as has been the case with the last couple I got.

Just seems a shame to disturb something that may have been in place for a good long time. :?

Do it , Do it , Do it :mrgreen:

nothing worse than a wobbly one :lol:

The nuts on my old Sorby came of easily with no effort whatever and Pedder put them back on fine after sharpening. You would never believe then had been off.

Go on...do it yer wimp!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

But I'm scared...

Ok, I'll charge the camera, and post pictures of me undoing my wobbly nuts tomorrow afternoon.

That'll be a treat for you. :twisted: :wink:

Scouse":5w426djt said:
...but I tend to attach more significance to age than is probably appropriate, and I suppose I just wanted some confirmation that it was ok to take it apart. I realise that sounds daft!
You too huh! I've got a few old tools, common as muck, but because they're old I don't want to make any changes.

But if the handle's loose that's the deal clincher in'it. You can't use it without disturbing the nuts, so fill yer boots.

Cheers, Vann.

Tony Spear":3kufn1fs said:
Alf":3kufn1fs said:
Not my fault - I'd never encourage anyone to buy a breast drill. I have, um, three. Well, maybe four. Never use the darn things from one end of the year to the next.

That's because you're a Lady and have things on your chest that get in the way!

(Copywright the Late Peter Tinniswood) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Never used a breast-drill. They do look as if they would be easier to use, if you put the pad against your 'shooting-shoulder', because they always remind me of a Sten-gun'!

John :mrgreen:

Back