I might have to give up on the Hayrake Table.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
prefer a simpler interpretation - the inlay in particular jars with (my notion of) Arts and Crafts simplicity.

1000+

Me too...and I am not all that keen on the artsy fartsy scrolls on the table top supports. I was however, struck by the beauty of the hayrake stretchers....

Without doubt, this design originates and therefore looks most at home in, the rustic country designs. I think that inlay should stay more with the dainty polished mahogany furniture of the estate homes and city mansions.

Some great history being uncovered in this thread though...I have admired the designs but never understood the history. I am enjoying that part immensely.

Jim

The Edward Barnsley Workshop is a registered charity and I have heard that they are prepared to make available copies of Barnsley's plans for historic pieces. Don't know if this is true but it would be worth giving them a call - you could hardly do better than work from those.

Jim

yetloh":i4h9xpbg said:
The Edward Barnsley Workshop is a registered charity and I have heard that they are prepared to make available copies of Barnsley's plans for historic pieces. Don't know if this is true but it would be worth giving them a call - you could hardly do better than work from those.

Jim

That's very true... The secret is though Jim, the only drawings I ever work from are done on a scrap of A4, at the largest. Not that I can't read a drawing. Still, it will be a departure for me, and it might make me realise how much I don't know. I think I said earlier, those stretchers are going to demand a full size layout on MDF anyhow! I can get around some of the angled M&Ts, with design alterations, but I can't lose all of them!

There is a CD available from Cheltenham Museum, for £19.99 btw, with drawing and other info included.
:D

John

frugal":r6asrzzm said:
Benchwayze":r6asrzzm said:
It always struck me as being a somewhat British idea to make that comparison between bread and cake.

Unless the French also ate bread and cake for tea!
I dunno!

I had always assumed that the quote was meant to highlight the point that the nobility were so far removed from the general populous that they did not realise that if the poor could not afford bread that they were also not able to afford cake.

That's probably true Frugal.

It's difficult to get across what I mean. To me there is just something very British, about the so-called wit. To me it is a saracstic remark, and that's what makes it sound more British in origin than French.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_them_eat_cake

That might help! But it still sounds like a sarcastic translation by a British Biographer or Historian.

John

Benchwayze":1xtr5em2 said:
frugal":1xtr5em2 said:
I had always assumed that the quote was meant to highlight the point that the nobility were so far removed from the general populous that they did not realise that if the poor could not afford bread that they were also not able to afford cake.

That's probably true Frugal.

It's difficult to get across what I mean. To me there is just something very British, about the so-called wit. To me it is a saracstic remark, and that's what makes it sound more British in origin than French.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_them_eat_cake

That might help! But it still sounds like a sarcastic translation by a British Biographer or Historian.

It has certainly always been used as a very British put down of the French, along with the constant referrals to a lack of French military vistories (convieniently ignoring the fact that northern France and southern England changed hands more often than one of Wizers tools ;) )

It has certainly always been used as a very British put down of the French, along with the constant referrals to a lack of French military vistories (convieniently ignoring the fact that northern France and southern England changed hands more often than one of Wizers tools ;) )

:lol:

Benchwayze":23snbzh5 said:
It's possible BB. But I question the attribution of that saying to a French person.

It always struck me as being a somewhat British idea to make that comparison between bread and cake.

Unless the French also ate bread and cake for tea!
I dunno!

John :lol:

I meant the whole over-the-top farm she had built so she could be a milkmaid, not the (dubious) bread/cake quote!

(googly) It was called "Petit Hameau"

BugBear

I'm lost BB.

I was amused by your reference to one of Wizer's tools!

Anyway, from what I can make of her, she lost her head long before she went up those steps to the block!

John :D

Benchwayze":3ka8ne2z said:
Folks,

I have scoured Google and Yahoo for some meaningful articles on the Barnsley style Hay-rake Table. I have found one or two photographs, but they are difficult to interpret. I would buy a book I have seen on Barnsley and his workshop, but the SWIMBO Radar has just been serviced and it's working at fever pitch!

So, yet again it looks like the back of an envelope and an HB pencil! So, while I am at it, does anyone know if Whitmore's Timber Merchants in Hinkley are good for English Oak. If I can't get English oak, is it a crime to use European, or American for this project?

Cheers
John :D

There is a how-to-build it article in the Fine Woodworking archive.

I may be able to scan the article to a PDF and email it to you. I'll check it out over the weekend.

Hi
The Barnsley workshop does not have any full size hayrake drawings.
Your best bet is Cheltenham or Bedales School library where there are lots.
Gimson and particularly Waals his foreman designed the best examples.
Even better is to see one in the flesh.
Best of luck

Thanks Charlie, JR.

I have been in touch with Cheltenham, and have to arrange a visit to see some drawings. The weather is dictating at the moment.

I am obliged for the help.

I also have to work out how to do WIP shots in my poky workshop too! :D

John :)

Max.

It's under construction (I have seasoned the timber!) Things have stuttered to a halt, as I am caring for the Missus for a while. I just can't get long enough at the bench to make anything big.

There is a good video available on the Fine Woodworking site, but you have to subscribe to the site to watch it. A preview is on the YouTube I believe.
HTH
John

Back