I hate it I hate I hate it!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
My Lathe is the biggest pile of rubbish going :evil:

I only bought it(new) last October when I started turning and its just about knackered :evil: Its an Axminster AWVSL1000.

First and soon after buying, the handles on the bolts that tighten up the toolrest and tailstock shaft rounded off inside :evil: and I just put my own bolts through to replace them. Next came the not being able to slow it down without stopping it and rotating the back pulley to line up the fingers for it to engage :evil: Then the cutting out on hot days :evil: Now tonight while slowing it up I was greeted with a nice screech as the bar that operates the speed mechanism scuffs the back of the pulley as it too has come away loose :evil:

Splendid.... :evil: , how glad am I that I gave Axminster 200+ for this 'little gem' :evil: :evil:

Does anyone know how the push bar that operates the speed control works, is there a hole in it that the threaded rod underneath the collar that pushes the pulleys goes into?

How I wish I wasn't so skint at the moment.

JT :evil:

Sorry to hear about your problems JT. My best and really only advice would be to contact Axminster, their customer service is second to none so I would be surprised if they didn't at least arrange collection of your headstock to be repaired/serviced.

Sounds like you just got a bad'un. Unlucky mate!

Richard

I think that the lathe you have is the Perform CCl with a different coat of paint. I bought one 2 years ago and had a few problems with it but each time I contacted Axminster they responded with instructions what to do, advice on how not to do it again and spare bits including at one point a complete variable speed mechanism. Looking at the sort of things that you are turning I suspect that you are having the same problem as I had, you are using it in ways that weren't intended. It is a good enough lathe (the Perform I mean) but can't handle too much heavy work or prolonged useage. Get on to Axminster and see what they have to say when you list the things that are going wrong.

Pete

Johnny, how often did you service the variable pulley system?

Did you grease the motor shaft and dry lub (PTFE) the headstock shaft and pulley etc. and check that all lock screws were not coming loose?

That type of drive really needs 15 minutes of service time at least once a month if regularly used.

Any on of the areas missed and not caught early can lead to rapid degradation of the pulley speed adjustment.

I think Pete had a bad experience with the same type of drive.

Mine always worked fine despite very hard use but motor pulley locking screw and other bits of the mechanism did need resetting from time to time.

As Richard says if it has all fallen apart or jambed up I think your best bet is Axminster for a referb, although I know Pete rebuilt his with parts sent out to him.

EDIT: Ahh Pete beat me to the button, serves me right for spilling me cup of tea.

CHJ":23ccb4sr said:
I think Pete had a bad experience with the same type of drive.
:oops: :oops: Guilty, that's what killed my variable speed. It went solid on me and yet Axminster came up trumps though the guy on the other end of the phone laughed at m,e.

Pete

Well I decided to send them an email outlining my troubles with it. I'm awful at complaining, heres a copy of the email

Hello, in October last year(2008) I purchased a new AWVSL1000 woodturning lathe. I have encountered several problems with this machine and with the latest one feel I have to contact you.

I've encountered several minor problems with things comming loose,the handles that tighten the toolrest and tailstock shaft rounding off inside(without me using excessive force) which I have been happy to deal with myself.(not to mention no sign of the outboard toolrest extension that was shown both in the manual and the picture on your website when I ordered)

More recently I have had a problem with slowing the machine where the pulley closest to the headstock bearing has to be physically turned clockwise to get the 'fingers' of the pulley to engage with the other one.I have also started to encounter a problem with the motor cutting out on warm days and tonight whilst slowing the machine I was greeted by a screeching sound as the push bar that operates the collar on the same pulley that needs rotating had come free and was cutting into the back of the pulley itself.

I'm fairly unhappy with this to say the least. I look forward to your reply.

Mr Johnny Taylor. Customer no.******.

I do also have to say the lathe has brought more happiness than headaches, and I've made some not to bad stuff on it.

Chas, I have to keep the shafts lubed or the pulleys soon don't like moving. The only thing I could really do with is a compressor to blow it out but I don't think these problems are to do with a bit of sawdust, more just falling apart!!! Poor old lathe.

johnny.t.":257p5hca said:
Chas, I have to keep the shafts lubed or the pulleys soon don't like moving. The only thing I could really do with is a compressor to blow it out but I don't think these problems are to do with a bit of sawdust, more just falling apart!!! .

Hence my comments about locking screws etc. johnny, the fact that the headstock pulley splines were not staying engaged leads me to believe that something in the speed change handle mechanism was coming adrift.

I never like blowing dust/debris out with compressed air, one it is dangerous to ones health and two you are likely to force it into even tighter corners and moving parts. I only ever use a brush and vacuum cleaner.

I'm sure that Axminster will sort you out and get it up and running again.

JT. You might do better by phoning Axy as others in the past have said they have had no response or a very slow one to an email.Unless things ahve changed in the mean time.Service is very good from them :D

Just to let you all know Axminster have come up trumps and have offered to take it in for repairs or send me out the parts to fix it.
They're sending me new pulleys first to see if that helps along with the missing toolrest extension for outboard turning, so all good there and they've lived up to there legendary customer service.

Still wish I could afford a real lathe though :cry:

JT

glad its sorted for you jonny - to be frank i think you were just unlucky in getting a duff one - my first lathe was an M900 which is very similar to yours and i had it for 8 trouble free years ( in which time it needed only one belt change , and that was my fault for jamming the head trying to turn beyond capacity)

its still going strong and i recently sold it to OPJ when i upgraded to the 1200 to get more power and electronic variable speed.

Good evening. I have just purchased a 2nd hand awvsl1000 it's only 3 yrs old. I don't know f it's services that have been done.
I was wondering f there is a service manual that would help me service it ie greasing and what to tighten. I also might replace the bearing. Also I would like to change the belt as I don't know when it was last changed. Is there anyone who could tell me what belt I require. Thank you in advance
(homer)

Woodcraft":2i5na0gp said:
Good evening. I have just purchased a 2nd hand awvsl1000 it's only 3 yrs old. I don't know f it's services that have been done.
I was wondering f there is a service manual that would help me service it ie greasing and what to tighten. I also might replace the bearing. Also I would like to change the belt as I don't know when it was last changed. Is there anyone who could tell me what belt I require. Thank you in advance
(homer)

My suggested service routine
This belt should fit This type of Reeves drive is pretty universal, If in doubt check with axminster,

Homer, youve dug up an 8 year old thread.
But at least one of the people are still here so you should get a reply soon.

Woodcraft":3h45j3z8 said:
(homer)

Service manual http://www.axminster.co.uk/media/downlo ... manual.pdf

Brian

Back