I hate flat pack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hiltsy":26m1dfia said:
The point I and a couple of others have been making is that you can buy flat-pack furniture for less than the cost of the materials; it therefore makes sense to buy it and adapt it - at least some of the work is then done for you.

I would always agree with you on kitchen cabinets etc, but there's not much else there for me. I take your point entirely on the cost, but if you look at their wardobes for instance, with it's glued strips of pine and dodgy fixing methods, and then compare the style, you can probably go out and buy a top notch second hand bit of furniture from whatever period pre-70s that fit the job -although not always.

Anyway, it's good to talk

woodbloke":prny0eyr said:
Never been to Ikea...worth a trip or no? Rob

I'd second (or third or whatever) the view that Ikea is worth a look. It is a lot more than furniture and some of the prices are incredible. We have quite a lot of different things from there although the only 'furniture' I've bought of theirs was some worktops and a loft bed off ebay for £10. If for no other reason you get some ideas (and exercise) walking round and as others have said the food is cheap.

Finally I read somewhere recently that everyone who goes to Ikea ends up buying lightbulbs if nothing else!

Steve

promhandicam":g8rqim85 said:
Finally I read somewhere recently that everyone who goes to Ikea ends up buying lightbulbs if nothing else!

Indeed, but now given the likes of Wickes sell energy efficient bulbs for 99p, even that minor temptation is missing. Don't get me wrong, some great design ideas originate from Ikea and I think, if nothing else, they alone are worth the trip, but ...... well, it's down to personal preference as to whether their stuff is worth buying, even at the price.

I suppose you have to be more discerning than I was. Go for their kitchen carcasses but get a carpenter to make the doors etc

Back