I found Nirvana

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procell

Established Member
Reaction score
In my quest to find some wood to turn I decided to contact my local council to see if their parks department would be willing to part with some of the logs from trees they have felled. I received a reply saying they may be able to help and yesterday I got a call saying they were at their storage yard and did I want to pop over to see if there was anything I could use.

I went to meet them and after driving down a long wooded drive I turned a corner and WOW!!!!!!
There in front of me was about half a football field of logs.

The guys were extremely friendly and helpful and told me I could help myself so long as I was not bringing lorries in to take it away in mass loads.

I selected about 20 logs (silver Birch, Cherry, Ash,Sycamore, and some I did not recognise ) that I thought would be a good bet for turning. Some are very green but others have been seasoning in the yard for some time and may even be dry enough to turn into completed items. I have an open offer to collect more if I contact them when I need it.

They even said they would saw it up into useable blanks if I needed :)

Lucky *** I thought I was well off having a tame tree surgeon and a gardener but that beats me hands down. You should get some lovely ornamental woods form them as well.

Pete

Very lucky , now keep on their good side and give them something you have turned from the timber. :wink: :wink:

My local clowncil chip all the trees they fell "for health & safety reasons"
I asked if I could have a rake in the piles, but they said no - again for health & safety reasons.

What a waste.

I will definitely be keeping them sweet. Have already said I will let them have some things I make if I manage to make anything worth having.

Hi - Wondering who your local council is? They sound really reasonable and perhaps would be open to more residents. When I use my local re-cycling centre to or the tip as it used to be known, the guys down there are really friendly and I needed some vacuum cleaner hose to connect to power tools, they were great.
My council is Sutton.

We have a recycling centre about 8 miles away and whenever I go there with a load to dispose of I usually bring back an assortment of bits. It just amazes me what people throw away, but perhaps I'm just a hoarder. My sheds are not big enough so that speaks for itself. The guys there usually just say to help yourself, but they do appreciate being asked before anything is taken - it's just plain courtesy.

K

Sammo

My council is Hounslow but they sub contract all their tree surgery to a private company who are the ones I spoke to. I would suggest either phoning or email your Council parks department rather than waste disposal as they will be the ones to deal with trees that need removing.

graduate_owner":2nwqaja7 said:
We have a recycling centre about 8 miles away and whenever I go there with a load to dispose of I usually bring back an assortment of bits. It just amazes me what people throw away, but perhaps I'm just a hoarder. My sheds are not big enough so that speaks for itself. The guys there usually just say to help yourself, but they do appreciate being asked before anything is taken - it's just plain courtesy.

K

DAMHIK but you want to try working at one! :wink:

adidat

Procell

Will certainly give my local council a call / email - all they can do is say no, let's hope that there isn't the chip everything policy in place, although there might be as at the recycling center you can get bags of mulch and compost.

Sammo

Random Orbital Bob":2w9m9wpo said:
Surely you can't "chip" a trunk once it hits a certain diameter in size no matter how big the machine is??

They have to find work for all the chainsaws they have :mrgreen:

Just cut the bottom off one of the pieces I took to square it up. No Idea what wood it is but the grin is amazing
1log.jpg

1alog.jpg

1blog.jpg

1clog.jpg

1dlog.jpg

Anyone shed some light on the type of wood?

Attachments

• 1alog.jpg
    1alog.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 524
  • 1blog.jpg
    1blog.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 524
  • 1clog.jpg
    1clog.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 524
  • 1log.jpg
    1log.jpg