I don't like cricket (new bat and plane maker)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the US is where the vast majority of wooden Plane makers sell their wares. Many years ago I made a feeble attempt at selling some of my wooden Planes and I didn't get one single enquiry! They were a lot less than that. Mind you I can't say I put much effort into the idea (thankfully :shock: ). There are so many old woodies around that it's easy to buy a wooden Plane for next to nothing. Done it myself, even though I've probably made over 20 of the things!

There are wooden planes and there are beautiful wooden planes...

Just the same as there are run-of-the-mill metal and infill planes and beautiful classics.

It's hard to generalise on "worth"...at the end of the day it's down to the quality of job the tool does...however much or little it costs and however "boutique" it may seem.

Quality (boutique if you like) makers of wood planes wouldn't sell one if they only looked nice and planed just like any other.

This little gem is one such plane which stands as the proof of that logic...

DSCN0250.JPG

Quality and precision from our dear friend Philly...(with a little help from Karl)....stands up against the best of them and sells well, here and over the Pond.

Jimi

Thought I might as well say that this is my website, so you can put a name to a face. It was nice of David Barron to mention me on his blog as I've been an admirer of his work for quite some time, especially his blog. These planes came off the back of requests from cricket bat makers to have planes made for shaping bats but then I started having requests from the other places for more traditional planes.

You're right about the US, the requests do seem to come from there more consistently. The wooden plane seems to polarise opinion, the Marmite of the tool world. I'm in the process of designing a new smoother and need some testing and feedback if anyone's interested. Thanks for looking at the website.

David

Beachcricket":9lhmoboc said:
The wooden plane seems to polarise opinion, the Marmite of the tool world. I'm in the process of designing a new smoother and need some testing and feedback if anyone's interested. Thanks for looking at the website.

David

Hi David and welcome

Yes...I think the wooden plane was seen as being superseded by the metal planes and I'm not entirely sure where the infill plane fits in...all I know is that is my preference.

That being said...my second passion is the woodie and I would be more than happy to test and review one of your new designs for you here and on my blog.

Just let me know via PM.

Cheers

Jimi

I got into wooden planes simply because no metal plane existed to do the job I wanted, or none that I could find anyway.

Thanks Jimi and MIGNAL, pm'd you both.

Back