I don't believe it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I,ve been watching LIE NIELSEN 102 LOW ANGLE BLOCK PLANE on Ebay.

Axminster sell the same item for £71.36 inc vat.

Or you could import one from a dealer in the states for $94 (£52)

I was astonished when it reached £80

I was dumbfounded when it eventually sold for.....

£108.50 + £3.50 postage.... he/she must be suffering from Ebay buttonitis :D

Nibbo unfortunately this is not uncommon on EBay, i watch lots of tools and usually pull out when the bidding goes silly. People simply do not do the research they need to before bidding, they must be either insane or have far more money than sense.

Bean

a mate of mine just saw one of his products without some important parts sell for more than retail, and that was not a current production plane.

maybe tom should sell via ebay too.

paul :wink:

Bean":gp9qduak said:
Nibbo unfortunately this is not uncommon on EBay, i watch lots of tools and usually pull out when the bidding goes silly. People simply do not do the research they need to before bidding, they must be either insane or have far more money than sense.

Bean

I won't start a new thread but has anyone spotted the mint condition Norris plane, it was up above £500 and still rising yesterday, lovely collectors item though. :)

Hi Guys

That finishing price for a LN block plane is truly amazing.

I've never beaten the retail price but got pretty close to it with the prices I've received for tools that I've sold on ebay in the last six months. I used to take surplus tools (particularly the duplicates and over ambitious stuff that I should never have bought in the first place!) to a second hand/antique tool dealer but he never gave me much for them. I shall always use ebay in future. If this trend becomes widespread, the dealers may find their sources of supply of good stuff drying up. ebay gives everybody access to such a huge market.

Regards.

I've been looking for a low angle block plane on eBay for ages. Nothing fancy, an old Stanley or Record #60 1/2. When these come up, and there are a few most weeks, they invariably go for around £30 plus postage. In all probability the plane will need a fair amount of fettling and maybe a new blade (£15 - £20). A new Stanley #60 1/2 costs £45 (ok, it could probably also use some fettling and a better blade) so I don't know what these eBayers think they are getting.

cheers

George

devonwoody":34k2fl73 said:
I don't believe it.

Nobody has ever bid on any item I have posted on Ebay above 50% of retail price. :roll:

Hi -

We have dozens of people who buy products from us - and re-sell them on ebay....

Our reprint of the "Stanley 45, 50, and 55" booklet , which retails from us at $4.95, regularly sells on eBay for $9-$15....

Rob

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOOK-STANLEY-45-50- ... dZViewItem

Lord Nibbo":275cg57z said:
I,ve been watching LIE NIELSEN 102 LOW ANGLE BLOCK PLANE on Ebay.

Axminster sell the same item for £71.36 inc vat.

Or you could import one from a dealer in the states for $94 (£52)

I was astonished when it reached £80

I was dumbfounded when it eventually sold for.....

£108.50 + £3.50 postage.... he/she must be suffering from Ebay buttonitis :D

I checked out the feedback left by the buyer of this item and he/she was delighted with the deal...ignorance is bliss :wink:

cheers

George

devonwoody":2pxbxsn3 said:
Perhaps LN are short of stock :)

I think that it's more a case of the buyers being in too much of a hurry to do their research. :wink:

Although, if I were buying chisels, I'd be tempted to pay more to have them now via an auction than wait weeks or months for them because supply is so far behind demand.

Latest posts

Back