Howdy Y'all

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neal Addy

Reaction score
Greetings from Texas!

This site was mentioned by a friend of mine. Just thought I'd drop in and say hello. I've been turning for about 5 years, mostly specializing in lidded hollow forms.

I see a lot of great work here! This is a talented group.

Safe turning,

Neal

Thanks for the welcome, folks.

tekno, I mostly turn exotics but do turn the occasional domestic when I get a chance. We have a lot of pecan, oak, and maple but the most common wood in this region is Mesquite. Very nice to turn and stable as it dries.

We also have a wood commonly called "Texas Ebony" (Pithecellobium flexicaule). It's extremely dense and hard to turn but takes a beautiful finish. One of my favorite woods to work with.

I tried to post photos but the links converted to the verbiage "Report to Moderator" (as does my signature). Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

Hi Neal and welcome.

I only joined in June and have already found this forum a very friendly place and useful source of information.
I'm just returning to turning after a 35 year break, so finding my 'lathe feet' again. This place helps a lot.

I had already enjoyed your site having found it whilst looking for articles on photographing wood. Photography has been my other life-long interest too - you can see that side of me at www.weepingash.co.uk.

Hi Neal,

You are not doing anything wrong - you will be able to post pictures after you have made a few more posts - at the moment your links have been caught in the forum spam trap. I expect a moderator will be along soon and sort out the problem for you.

I'm always interested (and possibly slightly jealous of) in the native woods that turners in other countries use :D I've not seen pecan, mesquite or Texas ebony wood so would be interested in seeing your pictures.

Here in Wales we have plenty of ash, oak, sycamore, beech, hazel, birch and various fruit woods to play with and can buy some of the exotic species from turning suppliers (but they are expensive). My favourite turning wood is walnut, which does grow in Wales, but isn't very common. I also like holly and hawthorne which grow here mostly as hedgerow plants - but both are very difficult to dry successfully without splitting.

tekno.mage

Yeee Haaa !!

:shock: A real Texan all the way from Texas , in the good old U S of A

Hello and welcome , are you going to show us any of your work ?

:mrgreen:

Welcome Neal, hope you enjoy the forum ,lots of top turners on here ,of which I am not one of them :cry: :cry: :oops: :oops:
Look fwd. to your postings. REgards Boysie39

Hi Neal, glad you made it over here from Fort Worth, those Horses managed to splash their way through the water in Las Colinas yet.

Mustangs_at_Las_Colinas.jpg

Hi Neal, good tosee some more 'colonials' join us :lol: Look forward to your postings. Stick a couple more messages up and you'll be away

Pete

Hiya, Chas! I'd know the piece in your avatar anywhere.

Thanks again to all for the welcome! You make this Yank feel right at home. Just remember to be patient with me. I'm only fluent in Texan but I'm willing to give the Queen's English a shot. :lol:

Actually, I'm a huge fan of your/our early history, literature, and folklore. Someday I hope to visit The Isle.

Roy_H - Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the photo tute. I've been amazed (but gratified) at its popularity. I enjoyed browsing your photography gallery! You do beautiful work. Photography has become an all-consuming passion for me only within the last two years. My gallery can be viewed here.

John. B - I'm from Fort Worth, Texas. It and Dallas are one big metroplex but we "Foat Wuthers" don't like to give Dallas too much credit. It gives them a big head.

tekno.mage - It sounds like we have a lot of similar woods. I've not tried most of those you mention but I'm familiar with them. I mostly turn exotics but I'll take whatever I can get. I'll try reposting the two woods I mentioned above.

Mesquite and Blackwood. 5-1/4"W x 5-1/2"H. Sanded to 800, finished with Seal-A-Cell, and buffified.
566471865_VTHbZ-L.jpg

Texas Ebony semi-open form. 4-1/2" x 1-3/4". Sanded to 800. No finish, only buffed.
IMG_3339.jpg

Back