How would you rate the UK's handling of this pandemic?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The rules have not been "hazy" and "ill defined" AT ALL that's BS speak to point fingers - there is a pandemic and has been for a year now, people who interact with others, for whatever reason, risk a chance of infection; the more interactions the higher the risk.

This is not rocket science.

The point i sought clarity on was (lockdown v1) -

I have a friend with mental health issues. He is on the shielding list, with the appropriate letters from the government etc.
I, personally, was in hospital with lung xrays, pnumonia etc the year before last. In another life, I also happen to have a BSc in Biology, so am not totally clueless as to these things.

As my friend had been shielding, and, due to my own health history, we "locked down" from before it was compulsory, both of us would be considered low risk of being carriers.
My friends wife called me and told me that she was more worried that he would top himself than get the virus.

I went round his, at the peak of lockdown, and helped him render his house, in order to give him a break from his insanity.

Was this against the rules?

It marginally increased my risk of death, but decreased his risk of death.
As I say, I was unsure, so I sought advice from another friend who is a police man.

What would you have said? And would it have been your opinion or would it have been one of the "rules"?

Ok, how about, Nightingale overflow hospital.

You just love the heartstrings don't you Bob. Not sure what Florence has to do with it, maybe replace her name with COVID or pandemic and we'd be in danger of agreeing again.

You just love the heartstrings don't you Bob. Not sure what Florence has to do with it, maybe replace her name with COVID or pandemic and we'd be in danger of agreeing again.

But from your logic, my local hopital should be called "general illness and death hospital", not Princess Alexandra.

NHS over run by govt slowness to act over Covid. Also by unpreparedness after 10 years of utterly pointless austerity and underinvestment. Also understaffed due to under investment in training, deliberate understaffing public bodies everywhere (police, fire etc) to save money and deliberate hostility to immigrant workers.
The bloke in the queue/party may be a twerp but he is being led and misadvised by conflicting and ever changing "guidance".
Good to note that a long enforced absence and cataract operation hasn't helped you to see any clearer Jacob. ;)

But from your logic, my local hopital should be called "general illness and death hospital", not Princess Alexandra.

Remind me again why Florence Nightingale is famous and revered?

edit: Plus, not much into royalty, remind me who Princess Alexandra was, I CBA to google her.

Last edited:
:unsure:She spent 4 years in bed writing letters to the editor of The Times and MPs. ;)

Remind me again why Florence Nightingale is famous and revered?

edit: Plus, not much into royalty, remind me who Princess Alexandra was, I CBA to google her.
I thnk you are nit picking, the point being, sentiment is in every day life, it's called having a heart, I don't see anything wrong with this.
for example, "mum died in a nightingale hospital or mum died in an overflow hospital". Makes no difference but maybe just maybe a bit more easy for relatives. I suppose if you just want to point score on a forum or defeat the Gov't singlehandedly then yes "surge or overflow" is more appropriate

As for Princess A, no me neither, but I prefer it to "general illness and death hospital".

Last edited:
Rorschach, inspired by your good self, perhaps Charlie Darwin units?

for example, "mum died in a nightingale hospital or mum died in an overflow hospital". Makes no difference but maybe just maybe a bit more easy for relatives

That's a decent point. On the other hand, FN is (rightly or wrongly is not the point here when calling on her legend for spin purposes) famous for (i) saving lots of lives (ii) by introducing successful infection control measures. These things won't do the former and will only be needed in the event of a complete failure of the latter.

I don't know how well that tallies since according to most here C19 definitely isn't survival of the fittest.

I was just trying to channel heartless brutality without going the full Bob 'death camp' route.

At the start of all this, did we not see Italy being quite open about categorising some as unlikely to survive, and queuing them in basic wards for their transition to the afterlife?

I guess the nightingales will either be our version of that, or, on a more cheery note, low level rehab centres. They certainly are not going to be anything close to ICU units.
In my hospital trust area, there were plans in place that in the event things got out of control that ambulance crews would be deciding who was taken in for treatment and who was left at home to fend for themselves. It went ovthe point that only under fifties would be taken in and ICU beds for the under 40’s. As it turned out it came nowhere close to any of that , but the planning was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back