How to taper piece of wood with hand plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rapsod

Established Member
Reaction score
How to taper piece of wood with hand plane?
Does anyone do that or use saw?

Where to start planing at front and move toward back or vice versa?

If it's a big taper then saw to a line and finish with a plane, for a very slight angle then clamp the piece at the angle you want with the material to remove just above the bench and carefully work towards the line. You can help yourself out by making sure the grain is heading downhill to reduce tearout

Aidan

Yep, first thing to ensure is that you're not planing against the direction of which the grain is running.

If it's only a small piece and you don't want to cut away most of the material leaving your finished line in, you should begin by gradually removing material from where there is the most amount of waste, working down towards your finished line. :)

Os Olly says
mark your taper and then start planing at the end where there is most material to remove, then move progressively backwards taking full strokes each time.
cheers Mike

I do just the same as for getting edges parallel. Hog off the bulk with a scrub or whatever's appropriate for the amount of waste, true the edge, then a mix of open and stopped full width shavings to sneak up on the line.

This is easiest (for me) with a straight blade in the final plane (a #7 if big, down to a block plane for small stuff.

For teeny stuff I'll just use a block plane for it all, somtimes HHGing the component to a sacrificial carrier.

Steve

And don't forget the jaws of your trusty Workmate can grip a tapered piece of wood if you're tapering it "in the round", so to speak, like a chair leg.

This is small taper angle. Piece is 90cm long and I have to remove 12mm.
I will start at end. Thanx Mike.

Back