How to cover the wood grain for painting?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sitefive

Established Member
Reaction score
Might be stupid question but what exactly you can use to cover the wood texture /knots so they don't show through when the piece of wood is painted?

This depends on the type of timber and the finish your using. But if it's soft wood and gloss then a coat or two of knotting solution, followed by primer, undercoat and gloss is the recommended procedure.

deserter":2vn5mfjp said:
This depends on the type of timber and the finish your using. But if it's soft wood and gloss then a coat or two of knotting solution, followed by primer, undercoat and gloss is the recommended procedure.

^^ This, and don't skimp on the knotting and undercoat either; do a proper job or you'll be looking at the knot stains with pine for years to come.

If you don't have any 'knotting', French Polish is the same thing.
I find it helps if you fill the grain with something like a weaker mix of Polyfilla, before the final sanding.
I don't see any reason why you can't use a weak mix of PVA as knotting. It should work. I've used it as a primer for oil painting canvases and it's impervious to the oil in the paint.

HTH

Cheers

Latest posts

Back