How much to fit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joiner_sim

Established Member
Reaction score
:?:
Just a general question to those who charge professionally to fit.

How much do you charge?

To fit an internal door?
And Frame?
External Door?
And Frame?

To fit laminate flooring, per square metre?

Just thought, I'd brush u on my prices.

I have quoted £50 to fit an internal door. I am also replacing one of the door frame stiles. I am getting the sile for free. So to supply and fit, I am only adding £10 on. £60....... what do you think?

i charge £12 a metre for laminate and £16 for solid and £10 for a door bar
internal door i only do if i am there doing some other job £40
external door with locks fitted £160-£240 depending on the job

I'd expect to be paying about £100 per doorset for internal doors (incl fire doors) for fitting. I am talking about big contracts here, where there is lots of other stuff being done as well.

Cheers, Ed

I paid £120.00 to have my mahogany front door fitted, it took the chap just over 4 hrs including the furniture all goods supplied by me, I paid for labour only and was pleased with the price and workmanship.

Rich.

know someone who was quoted £25 a m to fit timber engineered floor pre finished stuff.
he couldnt beat that either . wish i had had the time lol.

Don't take this the wrong way, but

Do what I do and any other person starting up in business, work it out for yourself. People like you pop up on the Screwfix trade site picking tradesmans brains just so they can undercut them.

We have to work for a living paying things like tax, liability insurance, employers insurance, vehicle and fuel costs, and various other overheads and then some fly by night jack the lad comes along.

Heres a clue, figure out how many days you want to work, how much you would like to earn (say £24k pa) then include all overheads, divide one by the other and hey presto an hourly rate.

Of course its not quite that easy, with pricing, estimating, paperwork, travel, fuel costs rising, dodgy customers wanting to not pay, etc etc etc. Oh, you may need a CIS registration while you're at it. Good luck, you'll need it.

wow i'm way to cheap i charge £30 for internal doors and about £50 to £60 for external but in saying that i work with my son and we can easy fit 10 internal doors in a day and am booked up with work till the end of feb

andychip38":1siik0t4 said:
wow i'm way to cheap i charge £30 for internal doors and about £50 to £60 for external but in saying that i work with my son and we can easy fit 10 internal doors in a day and am booked up with work till the end of feb

thats good going, I assume its into new fit/build ?

If they are egg box doors into new, level frames (if you have done it yourself they are bound to be) I think you could crack ten in a day on your own.

How i work my jobs is that i try to earn £130 a day so if you get a job and they want 10 internal doors fitting i would do it on a day rate rather than price per door.

I 'might' get £250 for swinging 10 doors on a price per door, but chances are i 'will' get my £130 (or maybe a bit more) on a day rate.

Maybe im doing it all wrong though? :lol: :lol:

Gavin.

Gavin-T":39p6943q said:
If they are egg box doors into new, level frames (if you have done it yourself they are bound to be) I think you could crack ten in a day on your own.

How i work my jobs is that i try to earn £130 a day so if you get a job and they want 10 internal doors fitting i would do it on a day rate rather than price per door.

I 'might' get £250 for swinging 10 doors on a price per door, but chances are i 'will' get my £130 (or maybe a bit more) on a day rate.

Maybe im doing it all wrong though? :lol: :lol:

Gavin.

Agree with all the above, this is the way to go, but you also have to take into account possible problems/recalls, so a daily rate needs to reflect this. Thats if you guarantee your work, which I do.

Why would you have a recall? you may ask ? sometimes you fit a hardwood front door, and something swells...frame or door and it sticks, or on a roof a slate may split after you have finished and need to replace it..all for example.

Pricing jobs is an art and you need all the facts to be able to do so, but, it also comes down to where you are in the country. Like the Highlands vs London for example. Travel/distance is a big part of my day, but it will also be in London for different reasons. Also, do you work on Council estates or very exclusive properties ?

Well im in the east midlands so pricing is midway between them two i guess.

I understand what you mean about getting called back to a job for a swelled door but could you not write it into your terms and conditions that the door is either sealed by yourself (paint or varnish) or the customer directly after fitting otherwise any call backs are chargeable?

Most people are fine but you do get some people who are the 'do it tomorrow' type (and that becomes weeks!) and then wonder why their untreated doors no longer open!

I had this on site not long back with a softwood garage side door.

And with over heads, i have got my liability insurance for £70 for the year (cheap or not?), i need transport whether im a chippie or not so i write that off (i use the van as my only car) and i have no business loans or premises to pay rent on.

At the end of the day im just trying to make a wage, plus a little to cover the bad days so im not charging joe public mega money. The little site work there still is makes the bigger cash for me (and that still aint brill!)

Gavin.

the rate for a int door is 30 quid hear, some fellas drop the price to 25 after the first 3

Thanks for all the feedback. I already have my prices, I was just wondering what everyone else was charging or paying, in these hard times. As I gave someone a price hoping that they would say it was too much because I didn't want the job, but they still said yes.

I don't fit very often, as I am mainly workshop based.

I don't charge anything, the wife just supplies the tea and biscuits!

Roy.

at the end of the day i think most people on here love there jobs and what more do you want than to be payed for a job that most of the time you enjoy

joiner_sim":32c6kufs said:
To fit laminate flooring, per square metre?

the cowboys (using the term losely as they are actually quite a big firm) who fitted my mums laminate floor charged 11.50 per sq metre.

i was not ammused as they didnt put any expansion joints in and when the heating came on in the winter it all bowed up , and when they didnt want to know (having been paid by that point) i wound up lifting the whole lot and relaying it propperly

In more general terms i'd work out how much you can lay in an hour/day and work it from a comparable hourly or day rate ( i'm nowhere near good enough to charge for propper woodwork - but during FMD i had a little buisness assembling flat pack for people and thats what i did then)

Back