How do you store your jigs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logger

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
May sound like a dumb question, may be a simple solution, but having had a reorganise today, i still find it hard to find a place for things like my big worktop jigs, stair jigs and hinge jigs.

They take up masses of wall space, and mine are constantly getting in the way.

I only have a small workshop, but build staircases, doors, windows, kitchen units and other big items in it. I am pretty good at putting away tools, but keep having to move the jigs to get to other things.

Do people have a solution to this?

Many thanks

Nick

It all depends on the size and shape really. For jigs that are slot based, you could drill a couple of holes in the top left and right and stack them on some dowel pegs in the wall I suppose.

It is a well known fact that jigs should be stored in a pokery. *

I store mine in old filing cabinets.

*As in jiggery pokery.

I lay them on the joists above the workshop. Problem is a single chair design can easily require ten to fifteen dedicated jigs, and I'm running out of joists!

Mine are laid in drawers mostly. Those that fit anyway. The rest are on walls, at the side of the machine they are used at and some slid under my workbench. In a nutshell, anywhere i can get them out of harms way.

Having watched several of DVD's by Steve Maskery He always had a jig for everything.
The question I wanted to ask was where did he store his many jigs?
Regards,
Russell.

Thanks chaps, will give hanging from ceiling with hooks.

I seem to be making new jigs for bits all the time, as well as the great big shop bought workshop jigs and stair jigs.

Some jigs will probably not come in again for any jobs, but i hate to get rid of them in case.

Cheers

Nick

Id start by sorting them into how often they are used.

For, say hinge jigs used on most jobs, keep these on a shadow board near the bench.

For repeat jigs for occasional use, keep further away, on hooks on ceiling.

For one off jigs either bin them or store away from the workshop if possible.

It is good practice to use a marker pen and date + job number on each jig when making it and include info, like router cutter, template guide details.

Alder":2n8arkxj said:
Having watched several of DVD's by Steve Maskery He always had a jig for everything.
The question I wanted to ask was where did he store his many jigs?
Regards,
Russell.

There's a reason his new workshop is so large :wink:

Terry.

In whatever nook or cranny I can find - usually turns out to be the one place I won't think to look next time I need it :roll:

Back